Wednesday, August 31, 2005

American Disaster

More on Hurricane Katrina

Updates: Thank God they decided to leave on Saturday. My New Orleans families have lost a lot. Even the houses and restaurants that weren't flooded may have been in areas where looting was rampant. Noone has been back yet, and though I thank the Lord above that I haven't heard of anyone hurt, the loss of so much is devastating. My cousin Ike may end up going to his first year of school in Chicago. That's what I've heard through the grapevine anyway.

As of yesterday, I still hadn't heard back from James (the Brantley County Bandit) regarding his family from Long Beach, Mississippi. I know they took up in the Stennis Space Center, but after looking at the footage of coastal Mississippi, I know they probably lost their home. The phone lines are still down, so we don't know anything.

Please, y'all, donate something to the Red Cross.

Here's today's roundup.

Nature: The moment you do not respect this, it kills you.

Baton Rouge is still coming through.

Blogging from New Orleans. I think this guy is using a phone of some sort.

The view from above.

Neighborhood Updates. The city still isn't safe. Anywhere. But you can look at this site and get an idea of what's going on. Anyone whose been to New Orleans with me know the importance of some of those street names, and why reading this is like a punch to the gut for me.

“Convince Me I’m Wrong.” This is great commentary from SciGuy. I think it was Winston Churchill that looked upon London during the Blitz and said "What a pitiful effort this is, to burn a great city." New Orleans is one of America's great cities, and all great cities are faced with great trials. It always has been and always will be. The mother of jazz will not find her end here.

But this will be a defining moment of American history. Never before has the United States dealt with catastrophe on this scale. One million possible refugees. An entire region of the country wrecked. Our oil industry hammered. The Astrodome in Houston clearing its schedule through December to take on the frail. 40 - field hospitals setting up around the edges of the worst hit areas. An armada of help flying, floating and driving in.

Yeah, they're going to retire Katrina's jersey. Just like that, our entire society will change because of what happened. How much it will cost, in lives and dollars, will someday affect all of us somehow. Even over here in South Georgia, where the sun is shining bright, our eyes keep looking 700 miles to the west.

No comments: