Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Robertson's Greatest Hits

When the 700 Club Meets the Sopranos

Now, I've watched American Yahoo Pat "God wants you to give me more money" Robertson for years. I love tuning into the 700 Club on TV and seeing what unreasonable thing these folks want to do with our America. I've told friends and family, like some modern day Cassandra, that these folks, led by the little Theocrat himself, have money, political clout, and that they want to destroy the Land of the Free. If they were in charge, I would be frog-marched to the front of the line and executed because I listen to punk rock, heavy metal, hip-hop and, worst of all, I disagree with them. But my family and friends didn't listen. Especially the conservative ones. "Patrick," they'd say, "you're being silly. Pat Robertson wouldn't say we need to kill all the Palestinians. He wouldn't say that you're going to Hell and are a traitor. He wouldn't say that the best thing that could happen to the US State Department (where my Uncle worked) would be to fire nuclear (nukyular) weapons at Foggy Bottom. He's just a preacher, he wouldn't say things like that." Felt like I was taking crazy pills.

So maybe I'm taking a few victory laps around the park cause ol' Patty got his hand caught in the Fatwah jar. Suddenly, my Dad is very interested in what ol' Patty has gone around spouting off.

So I've been looking for a neat little bloggy style roundup of all the threatening, "they don't like me so let's kill the heathens" quotes from our new ultra-right wing poster boy, Patty "Let God Sort 'em Out" Robertson. Wouldn't you know who shows up with a bevy of citiations but Slate.

Once again, for the win.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I feel like this is another example of someone who started out with the righ intentions, but got caught up in the machine that is "Christian Media". A very "us vs. them" type of mentality tends to flare up, and it obviously ain't pretty. These people aren't usually bad, just rather out of touch (in their own little bubble).

Patrick Armstrong said...

Well, I like to think that when something happens once it is an accident.

If something happens twice, it is a coincidence.

If something happens three times, it is enemy action.

If something is self stated policy, Houston we have a problem.

And to be blunt, "God needs you to give me money" is not starting out with good intentions. There is a big difference between showing souls the road to heaven and becoming a millionaire.

A question does arise from this, however. Why do so many Christians, in this country of all places, feel that they are being persecuted - why is there an "us vs them" mentality.

I don't make fun of Chrisitan people, (I am a Christian and a Catholic) I make fun of stupid people. I make fun of grandstanders.

I ask because I used to think the same things, but it was the right wing Christians who played the part of "them."

Meredith said...

Ok, I've been thinking about where the "us vs. them" mentality ACTUALLY came from, and I wish I knew exactly. Personally, I think it's ridiculous, ignorant, foolish, and just plain wrong. Fear has a lot to do with it, but also isolationism and pride. Not proud-of-my-country pride, but I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-special/enlightened/informed pride.

Those of us who are aware of this problem are working on it, but nobody seems to really like change, even when they say they want it.

I don't agree with the monetary solicitations either, but that wasn't what I meant by starting out.