Thursday, October 06, 2005

Our Turn

Tropical Storm Tammy

Typical St. Simons: some folks were cracking jokes about the last two days being 'like a hurricane.' When I informed them that what we had was, in fact, a tropical storm named Tammy, they were astounded.

"We knew something was different!" They'd say.

I guess that's what you get when your main source of news is the vitriolic and tabloidesque St. Simons Tribune.

Things over in Brunswick were a little different, and apparently a lot more dangerous. Though, the quote of the day is this one from the Brunswick News: "Schools report some increase in absenteeism Thursday, particularly at Brunswick High School." That just may have been the results of the hurricane parties...but we'll chalk it up to atmospheric convection anyway.

Its been decades since a major storm crossed the Island. There is standing water outside my office (but that happens with any big thunderstorm), several houses flooded in the heart of Brunswick (again, that happens with any big thunderstorm, it was just deeper this time) and the worst damage was over at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC). Define ironic? Several Department of Homeland Security vehicles were flooded out and had to be towed away. We lost power several times, and there are big chunks of trees down, but nothing we can't clean up before watching Georgia vs Tennessee on Saturday.

The one drawback is the beach. Ophelia did some damage earlier this year, and now this. I haven't been there yet, but I bet the topography has completely changed.

Today? The weather is great.

4 comments:

Dante said...

Yeah, you guys sent your stupid rain our way. A glass I left out on my back deck was half full (or is that half empty) with rainwater last night up here in Northeast GA. Today things don't look much better.

I absolutely HATE flooding. The things I made sure of when I built my house were that there was no way it could flood and a falling tree could do no real damage to my home. It took me a few months to realize that this nature-proofing made my house a lightning rod. You just can't pull one over on mother nature. If she wants to bend you over, you might as well be ready to say "Thank you, may I have another?"

I'll still keep to my father's advice that I should never live overseas or near the ocean. Who needs an ocean anyways? If I want to have fun in the water, I'll just get dragged around the lake behind an internal cumbustion engine like God intended.

S.A.W.B. said...

Just remember what I said last night, Hurricane Zeke is on his way. It's a category eleventy storm, cooked up personally by George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, and is being driven by Karl Rove, from the top of their super-secret weather control tower, 500 miles below the earth's surface. It's going to path around the country in a little bit of an odd path, but in the end, the path will spell EAT MY BALLS, and will have wiped out any remaining bastions of blue-stateism...

Patrick Armstrong said...

So I reckon they think Super-Secret Liberal Takeover Headquarters is somewhere in southern Louisiana? Boy, they are dumber than I thought.

Meredith said...

you boys are actually funny sometimes ;)

I'm glad for the rain we got over the last 24 hours. It was looking a little dried-out and dead around here.