Friday, December 16, 2005

The genius trifecta

There's a lot more I could throw into this one, kids, but for right now, these'll do...

First up, we have an Air Force Colonel who failed to follow the first law of vandalism. LOOK FOR CAMERAS AND WITNESSESS.

Next on the mensa list, a double-headed genius encounter. We have the host, and film crew of the TV Show 'Cheaters', apparrently assaulting a woman who was being confronted with evidence of her dalliances. Apparrently, the woman in question was filmed with a local police Captian, while the two were engaged in the creation of the four-armed moan-monster, inside an unmarked, city police car. Why, oh why, do I imagine the local Internal Affairs guys are going to acquire copies of these videotapes...

Last, we have the anti-smoking nuts. No longer is preventing consenting adults from lighting up in just about anywhere in public enough, now, these nutjobs feel their wrath must be sated on consenting adults smoking in the privacy of their own homes.

Now, i'm not a smoker. In fact, I go out of my way to mock smokers. If I feel that I am inhaling too much secondhand smoke, or that my child is being exposed to it, i'll move my child, or myself, provided that the smoker is within their legal right to smoke. I can see where it might be considered reasonable for someone to want to protect children from secondhand smoke, but you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise, you open yourself up to a whole litany of potential legal challenges to things that would normally be perfectly legal. Keep alcohol in the house? Not if you have a kid there you won't. Watch TV? Better make sure your dial is permanently fixed on the kiddie channels.

Think i'm joking? This is exactly the sort of big-government intrusion that is slowly encroaching on the rights of all of us. At what point will people rise up and say, NO MORE! We can police ourselves just fine, thank you very much. You government types can go back to ensuring our right to keep exercising our personal freedoms to do what we like within the letter of the law...

Something tells me I'm not going to get much traction around here on the personal freedom track...

7 comments:

patsbrother said...

I say the legislature should simply declare smoking an unreasonable fire risk, ban cigarettes altogether, and call it a day.

I mean, hey, as long as the Congress is legislating morality we (I) might as well get something out of it, right? That whole downtown smoking ban is the best unnecessary ordinace Athens has.

Of course, if this thing ever were to pass go, I would give St Simons a wide berth for a while: Wendy is an established marksman and I can't imagine after 35 years of smoking she would be at all discriminating when it came to expressing her displeasure.

Patrick Armstrong said...

That vandalism stuff is hilarious. What I really like is that he was caught on tape vandalzing cars between the months of January and June. I guess that means that somewhere, there was a security guard telling his friends "hey, guys, get over here...you've just got to see this..."

And you're not going to get much traction about personal freedom around here at all. Especially regarding smoking. Man, you only bring that up because you know I hate smokers so much. Smokers can't come within 500 yards of Super Secret Liberal Takeover Headquarters without being captured and subjected to our most diabolical device yet, the BS Chip (like the V-Chip, but for thoughts as opposed to TV: the BS stands for Bleeding Sensitivity).

Every time I see someone light up, especially those cats with the annoying University of Georgia zippo, I want to just want cut their hearts out with a spoon.

Yeah, to hell with personal freedom. Especially the freedom to look like a jackass.

If you aren't careful, SAWB, you may end up getting as much hate mail as Tucker Carlson does every time he rants about 'personal freedom.'

S.A.W.B. said...

I'm sorry, have you forgotten my ceaseless mocking of you when you show up, bitch about the feeling of a foot in your chest, and proceed to go light up?

I agree fully and wholeheartedly with Mr. Carson's stance on the nanny-state that this Republic seems to be falling into. Day after day, I read, and sometimes link here, stories of people who would rather wait around for the government to do for them, what they should rightly be doing for themselves. But then again, you already knew my viewpoint on the entitlement crowd.

I can only hope that one day, I can receive the volumnous amounts of blistering hate mail that Mr. Tucker Carlson receives. But I'm working on it. Feel free to send any poorly thought out ranting emails, bereft of grammar and spelling, calling me a whatever-head, right-wing nazi to eric.cartman@eatmyballs.com. I'll be sure to get right back to you...

ruby booth said...

Surely a Lt. Col. ought to be able to find a better way of expressing his displeasure than by painting profanity on cars. Hell, I can think of better ways, and I don't have thousands of dollars in specialized government training. Sad state of affairs really. Speaking of which…
While a person shouldn't make vows and break them, maybe the producers should check for the assault charges before filming the confrontation.

As for the hate-smokers-hate nutjobs, I think, so long as the government can maintain a ban on a relatively harmless drug like marijuana, then they are gonna consider damn near anything fair game for the ban stick. I mean, I don't smoke, and I wish like hell Pat didn't smoke. But other than that mostly anyone who wants to burn their lungs out is free to, as far as I'm concerned -- provided they don't come over to my house or workspace to do it.

But it would be a helluva a lot of fun to watch Wendy picking off folks from the porch.

petallic said...

I am not one to defend smoking, but neither am I one to defend fast food. If a parent smokes in front of a child, is that worse than feeding the child fast food all of the time? My parents did both; does that make them unfit parents? If my parents are unfit, it's for a myriad of other reasons, but their smoking and diet choices are hardly even noteworthy in comparison to their other mortal vices. For the most part, however, you won't find better parents. I'm sure I could say the same thing about Wendy, though I've never met her. I feel as though someone in this case did not have his eye on the ball.

Dante said...

"Better make sure your dial is permanently fixed on the kiddie channels."

I've seen more than a few things on the "kiddie" channels hat I wouldn't let my kids watch (Nickelodeon, I'm looking at you here.)

Parents have a lot of tough choices to make. They do tend to pick and choose their battles. Most parents don't see McDonalds as being as bad as smoking. I will conceed that at least fast food isn't as addictive as smoking but I try to keep my daughter away from fast food whnever possible. If not, she'd probably live off of french fries and chicken nuggets (of fish nuggets if you eat at McDonalds).

I'm sure there are things that I turn a blind eye to, but that's parenting for you. I wouldn't trust that bunch of yahoos in Washington (or Altanta for that matter) to watch my kids while I go take a leak. I sure don't trust them to write legislation on how I should raise my children.

petallic said...

Dante,
Please note I said, "feeding the child fast food all of the time." It sounds as though you moderate your child's intake. Speaking as a woman who continues to this day to have a fast food addiction, I can say with absolute certainty that my parents' decision to feed us fast food was far more harmful to me than my mother's smoking. I didn't start playing around with smoking 'til I was 25 and living in England, where they hand you a pack of fags when they stamp your passport. My fast food addiction was definitely in play by the time I was in kindergarten.

My point is the same as yours though. Parents have to pick their battles. The husband in the aforementioned case merely picked something he could use to harm his wife, and personal freedom being what it is these days, he seems to have won a minor victory. One small step for man, one giant leap for Big Brother.

A million things can make a parent a bad parent. Smoking alone isn't enough for me.