I actually read up on these guys back in November around Thanksgiving. Now it looks like a college paper in Arizona has picked up on their story. It's a story about these folks called "freegans". For your amusement, I thought I'd post about them here.
Basically, freegans want to bow out of "normal" life due to the environmental impact they cause there. So how do they accomplish this goal?
1. Waste reclamation: They eat trash. They might try to make this sound a little better than it is, but THEY EAT TRASH. They also try to get their clothing, office supplies, and I assume they get their profos from the trash. I just hope they make sure they haven't been used yet.
2. Recycle, reuse, reduce. You know the routine.
3. Eco-Firendly Transportation: They hitch rides, walk and stuff instead of owning and driving their own cars.
4. Rent-Free Housing: They squat housing.
5. Going Green: They forage for food, medical herbs, etc.
6. Working unsteady jobs or no jobs at all.
I remember when we used to call them bums. When somebody gets their food from the trash, hitches rides, squats housing, and doesn't work a steady job, they're a bum. I guess that's fine if you want to be a bum. I just find it odd that these folks are aspiring to be bums. At least the freegan movement is already pretty sizeable due to the large amount of bums already present who are automatically freegans now.