Thursday, February 16, 2006

Gettin' 'er Done in Tennessee

Hat tip to Instapundit for this one, though I disagree on Glenn's conclusion.

This is about the race for U.S. Senate in Tennessee, so I hope we hear from Ruby and DADvocate for some on-the-ground insight.

I always wonder why a Democrat who acts reasonable is "running to the right," as Glenn suggests. Metro Pulse echoes this sentiment, and is the link that Glenn provides.

The positions Ford Jr. has on the campaign trail are as follows (quoting from Metro Pulse):
Ford said he supports the Second Amendment right to bear arms, he is against partial birth abortion, he argues we have to stay in Iraq until we get the job done and he says he was encouraged on his most recent of four visits to the war zone. He wants to end pork barrel spending and balance the budget by making every department cut spending, and he wants to reform the tax code.

That don't sound like a right wing point of view to this liberal. That sounds like Jr.'s tapping into a piece the American Consensus.

I'm going to file this in the 'most of us Americans really agree on a lot more than you think' folder. None of those positions are the exclusive territory of the right wing, no matter how much the right says about them.

-The Second Amendment is part of the Constitution, and is far more important to us on the left now after the Ashcroft/Gonzales justice department and NSA eveasdropping. Oh yeah, and the fact that the Administration won't do anything about criminals coming across our nation's southern border.

-Find me any person in this country who thinks Partial-Birth Abortion is a good idea, or any woman who enjoys getting one, and they will be the first I've met. Ever. Safe, private, rare. I already explained my position on that, and remain abstinate to do my part in keeping 'em rare. (Cause the most Republican men I know like their cake and eat it too...)

-Finishing the job in Iraq is the only sensible option (but ol' Dubya has lost his war powers privilages from now on...)

-Pork barrel spending is a bigger drain on our middle class tax base than any entitlement program, and helps only the status quo - and the status quo should not be helped.

-The last folks who balanced our budget were Democrats and Libertarians from Georgia who were masquerading as Republicans.

-Our tax code sucks. Find me one person who thinks current U.S. Tax Code is a good idea, and you'll be showing me a Tax Lawyer. Now, I ain't a big fan of Boortz, I ain't a big fan of Forbes, but at leas they're comin' up with ideas. Republicans have been in control of the U.S. House for 12 years, and they haven't been able to open the book on tax code. Do I need to repeat the definition of insanity?

-Social Security and Medicare are going to face very serious problems in the future if Baby Boomers continue to live and my generation can only get crappy service industry jobs.

Jr. seems to be just one example of how Southern Democrats and Liberals don't share all the same ideas as our 'Northern' and 'Western' brethren who get all the airtime. 48% of the voters in 2004 didn't vote for Kerry, they voted against ol' Dubya & co. (Imagine if we'da had a real Presidential candidate, instead of a really tall Yankee Oompa Loompa.)

I'm really glad to see a Democrat running for Senate saying these types of things. I hope that the Democratic leadership doesn't ask him to leave the Senate race in favor of a more liberal, less known candidate (like they did in Ohio). I hope, when he gets elected, that he actually believes in many of those things, and better yet, works with other Democrats (and the really real Republicans who howl at this administration's largesse) to make them reality. What really gets my hackles up is that right punditry is saying that Jr. is just saying all of those things to get elected.

Well, I guess right punditry would know: The current U.S. House, U.S. Senate, Presidency and Judiciary sure don't seem to be delivering....

5 comments:

dadvocate said...

Well here's DADvocate's comment. Just the night before I first heard Ford's statement I was talking with my older sister who is a big time Democrat in Tennessee. She has probably had conversations with Al Gore, her daughter interned for Clinton and Gore the first year they were in office.

My sister was telling me how disappointed she has been in the Democratic Party lately. The partial birth abortion issue is one she felt they should drop. Not necessarily be against it but not support it. The excessive sympathy towards radical Muslims was another area. My liberal sister actually seems to have a harsher opinion of the Muslim world than I do. She could have been a speech writer for Ford.

I predict he has an excellent shot. He's from Memphis which is the second largest city in Tennessee and heavily Democratic. Nashville, the largest city in Tennessee, also leans Democratic. Memphis is majority Black, Nashville has a significant Black population. Ford is Black. Contrary to northern Yankee belief, white Tennesseans are not exceptionally racist. Ford can draw a large white vote, especially with his stance on these issues. I wish him luck.

Dante said...

"That don't sound like a right wing point of view to this liberal."

Maybe to you, but I'll bet you if you put those stances on the issues down on paper and had people wager if he was Republican or Democrat, the vast majority would guess Republican. If Democrats want those issues, they're going to have to work towards owning them. Ford and others like him could go a long way to helping Democrats take these issues away from Republicans.

Patrick Armstrong said...

Well, I'd bet that most Republicans would see that as a Republican platform, and 66% of Democrats (especially those in the South) would see it as a Democratic platform. (And I'd bet the majority of the leftovers don't think those are Democratic values because Republicans say they aren't.) I think an overwhelming majority of voters would at least identify in agreement with many of those statements. Those are just part of the American Consensus that I talk about from time to time.

I think a lot of Republicans, upon hearing this is a Democrat, would be floored to hear it, and most Democrats (especially those in the South) would say "its about ******* time."

I concede that Republicans have won the war of words for a long, long time and not in a small part because the current Democratic 'leadership' continues to take its constituents for granted. ("What are they gonna do, vote Republican?" Uh huh huh huh. Then when folks do, they're all confused. See also: Roy Barnes)

Besides putting words in the Democrat's mouths that Dems won't 'dignify with a response' (that's straight from local politics BTW), the right enjoys whitewashing history and all the while, status quo Democrats are trying to learn how to speak American and making press releases about it.

That's why even The Daily Show said that Democrats are, at best, Ewoks; not the Evil Empire the Republicans make them out to be. (Click the 'Use the Force' video - I almost pooed my pants laughing.)

Dante said...

I'd bet that most Republicans and 66% of Democrats (esp. Southern) would like to see it as their candidate's platform issues, but I don't see too many Democrats running on that sort of thing (especially at the national level). If they are, they're certainly not making a big deal out of it as evidenced by the need to write an article pointing out that there's a Democrat who actually is running on this sort of platform. I'm pretty staunchly conservative but personally, I'd really like the Democrat's side of the ailse to up the ante on tax code, pork barrel spending, balancing budgets, etc. Then Republicans will actually have to get off their fat lazy cans and be conservatives again. I'd love to find a few such Democrats I could vote for to get some of the established politicians out of the mix, but as long as my elections are looking like Cleeland vs. Chambliss and Barnes vs. Perdue, I'm not going to be voting for many Democrats any time soon (though I did throw a vote Christmas' way over Cathy Cox but mainly because Christmas had a LOT more classroom experience than Cox).

Patrick Armstrong said...

(Dante, most Democrats aren't running on anything other than the "Vote for us, we aren't Republicans" Platform. This particular platform has been losing for years, and I'm scared to death that this year that platform may actually work. I'm scared because that will mean the Democrats haven't learned anything, and we're gonna have to go through this Republicans-control-everything era again in 4-6 years. That's why we have to write an article about someone who says something different than that, and that's why I have to talk about it like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. 'Cause really, it is.)