Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What Good Hands You Have, Grandma!

"The better to count your money with...."

This is another 'insert witty tagline here' moment. I'm torn between "The Real Looting Begins" or "Oh, That's why it costs us so much"

I've never had a bad time with my car insurance skinnin' out on the check (knock on wood). That may be because I've only been in two accidents spaced ridiculously far apart (knock on wood). But I know plenty of folks who had homeowners insurance, flood insurance, fire insurance & various and sundry other unforseen-injury-or-happenstance-insurance. I've known far more folks to get the shaft when the insurance company they have duly been paying decides: "Nope, you are on your own for this one!"

You mean the folks who did handle their business, bought insurance and kept up with their monthly payments, evacuated the city in front of the storm, and did everything good Americans are supposed to do to keep from being an undue burden on other Americans, are gettin' the screws put to 'em?

That's what it sounds like to me.

So, just think about this kind of thing when you wonder why cleanup is so expensive, its not being done efficiently and we're still harping on this whole 'Katrina' thing.

2 comments:

S.A.W.B. said...

You know that I've been through a similar, if less severe, situation with the fine people from State Farm already.

Remember kids, rain is not an act of god, and you can't get flood insurance if you don't live in a flood plain...

petallic said...

So what exactly is an act of God? I mean, foregoing the obvious (locusts, frogs, dead first born sons, suspicious pillars of salt...)

In Maryland, the definition is:

An act of God is a natural occurrence beyond human control or influence. Such acts of nature include hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods. (A snow storm is an act of God. Driving in a snow storm is an act of man or woman or teenager.)

I like how women and teenagers are separate from "man." More importantly though, why the difference in definitions from state to state? What up with that?

I realize it's an old article, but still interesting. I'd love an update on those lawsuits mentioned.