Tuesday, June 20, 2006

And another thing...

(before lunch break is over)

If this administration won't do something about illegal immigration, don't be surprised when locals start doing whatever they can, however they can.
Municipal officials around the nation, frustrated at what they perceive as the federal government’s inability to stem illegal immigration, have increasingly taken matters into their own hands.
I'll say right from jump that I'm a big fan of "Do It Yourselfism" (DIY), but I hesitate here. I'm not going to give a thumbs up or down on the particular Pennsylvania city, but what I do know is that having a million different cities with a million different ordinances and enforcement techniques is not going to solve any problems. As a matter of fact, it may leave us in worse shape.

What are y'all's thoughts?

3 comments:

Dante said...

"a million different ordinances and enforcement techniques"

At first, maybe. Once the cities get an idea of what works and what doesn't, you'll see their techniques and ordinances all more closely resemble each other. I'm a big fan of this sort of thing because it gives us a million test cases all at once instead of having to tweak the same set of laws one million times to get it to work right.

lagnsfit said...

I don't mind the local municipalities trying to handle this on their own. I do agree that they have to be careful about creating racial bias in the process but that would be the case at either the local or federal level. My favorite solution was from New Hampshire:

In New Hampshire, a pair of police chiefs began arresting illegal immigrants for trespassing.

I wonder if the immigrants will go free because there was not a "No Trespassing" sign on the border?!

Laddi said...

"a million different ordinances and enforcement techniques"

But there are several laws that are like that. Marriage laws? State level, and even though the laws may vary state to state, marriage in one state must be honored by other states, thus on an interstate (read: federal) level. Driver's license. Same thing. My license is good in Georgia or Tennessee or Alaska. But it's administered on a local level and I can promise you that local driver tests vary greatly from state-to-state and city-to-city. Did I have to parallel park on my test? Nope. Never. Get on a major road? Nope. Did you? I'm sure several, if not most of you, did. The problem is the feds made these immigrations laws they now don't want to enforce.

It seems your question is on of federal vs. state. To me, this is a wake-up call to the federal government. Cities are saying "If you won't do your own dirty work, then we'll take care of the dirt in our city ourselves. If you don't like how we do it, then step up and do something for real." What's wrong with that? That's the beauty of freedom and law in the US.

I think Dante's right. Let several cities try out different methods and see which one works best.