Thursday, June 29, 2006

Give Blood

The State of Georgia receives 30-40% of its blood donations from high schools and colleges, which are either closed completely or are significantly depopulated during the summer months. Because of this, and because Georgia runs a blood deficit in the good times (we import from other states what we can), there is currently a criticial shortage of blood. Where really we should have at least 2-3 days worth of blood on the shelf, Georgia currently is running on only 1/2 a day's blood for some blood types.

Go on. We know y'all can give up an hour of time and a day's ability to drink alcohol.

4 comments:

liberalandproud said...

I also encourage all qualified donors to give. I wish I could do so myself. Unfortunately, the semester I spent in England in 1992 disqualifies me based on the threat of mad cow. If only an inexpensive test could be devised so that those of us who have traveled extensively could still donate blood.

Patrick Armstrong said...

Who said giving blood means you have to give up drinking for a day? That's the cheapest night of the year!

S.A.W.B. said...

Speaking on behalf of my better half, who spent two years running blood drives for Red Cross of NEGA, I say, bullsqueeze.

Give blood all you want, but know that if the Red Cross wasn't selling some portion of the whole blood it recieves to other localities, there would be no shortage.

Platelets on the other hand, are always in need. You can give those every two days or so as I recall the sales pitch going...

petallic said...

Same problem here, liberalandproud, I can't ever give blood again 'cause of the whole England/mad cow thing. It's very annoying having to disappoint the kids at school every semester. They think I'm just being selfish or something. Like it's my fault for going to England in the first place.