Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Church Lady

Y'all know I don't read the New York Times, but Liberal & Proud does, and she gets the hat tip for bringing this to my attention. The picture is all you will need to see.

Lady Liberty holding a giant gold cross & the Ten Commandments.

If there was ever a question about why liberals fight for the seperation of Church & State, this one just got bumped to the top of the answer list. Now, these folks are well within their rights to interpret a famous American symbol in such ways. That's the freedom that the First Amendment was written for.

But this serves notice to me - a brutal reminder more like - as an American and a Catholic, that there are folks out there who wish to pervert religion and faith and dream to make this vision reality. I am reminded that there are, indeed, Christian nationalists who wish to exploit the faith of others for power and money. This is Pat Robertson, Ralph Reed, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and John Hagee America: monolithic crosses to replace the eternal flame of liberty; the Ten Commandments to replace the Bill of Rights.

So, next time you see a liberal of faith (like me) who Ann Coulter has the gall to call 'Godless,' don't buy the hype. I believe in one God, the father, the almighty, maker of Heaven & Earth, of all that is seen and unseen. And I am allowed to believe that because I live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, the sweet land of liberty of thee I sing.

We do what we do because the Statue of Liberty will always look like this...



...and we will fight to keep her that way.

( Statue of Liberty image (c) www.freefoto.com)

4 comments:

ruby booth said...

You know, I was just coming to tell y'all about this.

Anyhow, it beats the World Overcomers last sign, which (from any distance greater than 5 feet) looked just like the Playboy bunny icon. I think they are simply overcompensating.

petallic said...

That is arguably the most misguided religious symbol I've ever seen, including the Christ of the Ozarks in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, which was lopped off at the knees to keep the FAA from putting a big red light on Jesus' head...or the desiccated left arm of San Vicente in Valencia's cathedral, which is more creepy than misguided.

patsbrother said...

Pat: you say you are Catholic, and yet you do not act it. The Nicene Creed runs "We", not "I". "I" is egotistical and Protestant. Remember your roots. Remember!

liberalandproud said...

Memphis has got to be the world capital of embarassment right now, after Koizumi's karaoke ode to the King, and now this. Summer was never a fun time to be in Memphis. This craziness just has to make it worse.