Monday, August 07, 2006

Evolutionary Specializations

Yikes.

This information certainly isn't new information, but the scientific study of is news to me.

Kanazawa has done previous research suggesting that nurses, social workers and kindergarten teachers—those with “empathic” traits—also had more daughters than sons. Meanwhile, he found that scientists, mathematicians and engineers are more likely to have sons than daughters.

It is good that Kanazawa is only a researcher and not, say, the president of Harvard. If he were, that last finding about scientists may have gotten him fired.
True 'nuff.

But what this means is that we must all now think of our friends and family, those people we know best, and unscientifically extrapolate where we came from on this new evolutionary ladder.

I am Jack's unparalleled worry...

4 comments:

liberalandproud said...

My mother's always going on about how I "come from a long line of teachers," so I guess this makes sense. On the other hand, my dad had an engineering degree. Of course, they were both extraordinarily attractive, so maybe that's why their first-born was a girl (me).

Dante said...

There are several folks commenting in the link that attractiveness is subjective but it really is not. Attractiveness can be determined rather objectively through one factor: symmetry. I'm not kidding. Attractive people have more symmetrical faces and body features than unattractive people. There's quite a bit of graphics researh that went into finding that out. Do keep in mind though that something looks a lot more symmetrical when it's smaller.

dadvocate said...

I have 2 boys, 2 girls. My parents have 3 boys, 3 girls. Wonder what that means. Of my siblings and myself there are technical and non-technical professions.

Dante is correct about the symmetry. This has been studied quite broadly by psychologists, etc.

ruby booth said...

symmetry and proportion. while measures of "attractive" overall body mass and skin tone have changed over time. symmetry and proportion, together, are a consistant indicator.

it's all about the babies.