Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Last 12 Months in New Orleans

Or, a Lesson on Really Real Journalism

I was directed to this long but worthwhile read from Fortune Magazine. It is an exhaustive examination of the problems facing New Orleans, and indeed this nation, when it comes to rebuilding after a disaster. In the Post-9/11 World, America needs the ability to cut through obstacles better than this, and it isn't enough for government officials of any party or political class to pass the buck, throw up hands and say "this is not my job."

It may take a while to read, but this one is worth your time.

Your Right Hand Thief had this to say about the article:
Charles C. Mann writes the best, most accurate political overview of post-K New Orleans that I've seen. I'm not saying his piece is exhaustive or perfectly accurate, but it's very, very good. I think non-residents and attentive readers will find it invaluable.
And linking to the same article was Gentilly Girl.


No comments: