Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Rejecting Jackassery

Don't forget to vote today. I was voter # 22 at my precinct, and probably the onliest Democrat up that early. I was the only voter in the room when I showed up, and it took me literally two seconds to vote. It was like one of those high school tests that's so easy you spend more time thinking you missed something than you do actually answering the questions. I was looking for the extra page of questions... Ever have that?

Anyway, an Island City Democrat only has two things to vote for today, Secretary of State (I voted for Darryl Hicks) and Lt. Governor (I voted for Jim Martin). Now I get to stay at work, and watch the news all day waiting for news that voters in Atlanta and Connecticut have rejected jackassery.

Speaking of jackassery, I have two more items on that particular topic:

1. What do you do if you are a respected international news agency, and you find out that your freelancers are doctoring photos of a war zone (badly, I might add)? You fire them, and then release this information to everyone so no one else will hire his lying ass either. Reject Jackassery.

2. I hope this attitude prevails until November, and for as long as we need. It is the rising tide of rejecting incumbency - which is like jackassery, but different. We deserve better from our government, and this year is a pointed reminder of that fact.

7 comments:

liberalandproud said...

So, if Lamont beats Lieberman today, you'll cheer it as the defeat of an incumbent?

Patrick Armstrong said...

The Connecticut primary is actually kind of a win-win-lose thing for me, politically.

There's no hiding the fact that I want Lieberman to win basically because of the way his opponent's campaign and supporters have acted.

But:

If Lieberman wins, it is a repudiation of puerile politics that focus on cartoons and YouTube more than issues.

If Lieberman loses, he'll still run as an independent. If that happens, the center-left groups of voters in Connecticut will halve their voting bloc, paving the way for a Republican Senator.

I guess if that happens, it will definitely be a repudiation against both incumbency and ideology, which isn't bad, except we have a Republican Senator for 6 years, and have sacrificed a safe seat on the altar of schism war.

OR, you could have Lieberman lose, and not run as an independent. Then the Republican and Lamont would fight over the center, providing a very interesting election come November. I think the center would go with the Republican because of the way Lamont's campaign has cast itself.

I guess if that happens, it will definitely be a repudiation against both incumbency and ideology, which isn't bad, except we have a Republican Senator for 6 years, and have sacrificed a safe seat on the altar of schism war.

Fishplate said...

which isn't bad, except we have a Republican Senator for 6 years, and have sacrificed a safe seat on the altar of schism war.

Some people can't seem to learn any other way...

Patrick Armstrong said...

Please see also: Nader, Ralph; 2000.

Though back in those days, I was on the side of the ideologically pure. Done a lot of growin' up since then....

liberalandproud said...

Growin' up or givin' up? I'm not so sure about myself, so I'm not tryin' to cast aspersions, but I hate when I feel myself abandoning my ideals for the sake of a win for a D. What is it people are sayin' these days? Vote the person, not the party? Sounds good until that person starts toeing the party line once in office. It's especially troubling when the party line being toed doesn't even belong to the party that got him elected (see: Lieberman on the War in Iraq)

Patrick Armstrong said...

Growing up. Realizing that is OK for grown folks to disagree on things. Realizing that it is OK to work with people you disagree with to move a little in the right direction as opposed to not moving in the right direction at all.

Sometimes you must work away from a goal to acheive a goal, sometimes it is just a million little steps in the right direction.

petallic said...

That is one of the worst doctored photos I've seen in recent memory. Clone, then blend. Don't just clone. Sheesh.