Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wish I Was There



By all accounts, The Rising Tide conference was an absolutely successful event.

(There was apparently some to-do over a city councilwoman/panelist having a meltdown moment against Mitch Landrieu & family, and that gets a lot of ink, but that's just what happens to tantrum throwers. The NOLA bloggers explain it better than I can.)

One thing that really strikes me about the organization of this conference is how citizen media, politics and civic involvment all came together. I also wonder how many of the NOLA bloggers knew each other offline this time last year. Maybe its just me, but I think that's something pretty big.

Congratulations to the NOLA folks who organzied things and made the conference happen. The only way to build better communities and have better governments is by regular folks involving themselves in civic actions, and I think this is a great step in that direction. I only wish I could have been there, too.

2 comments:

mominem said...

We missed y'all

dangerblond said...

Thanks, Patrick. I knew about half the bloggers there because of geek dinners and such. Many of them were new to me. Hope to see you down here soon.