Sunday, October 15, 2006

Job Opportunity...

...Kingmaker?

When I heard the news that Mark Warner had decided not to run for President in 2008, I was kind of shocked.

To hear that a bunch of Senatorial hopefuls had called him up pretty much begging for support (as he did seem to be the pre-season #2 in the Democratic field), I was not so shocked.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed. I was looking forward to voting in the Primaries for Warner, and I thought he might be able to get in touch with a lot of the disaffected voters in the center who felt both Parties moving towards the wings of self involvement. And he didn't have the same baggage that anyone with the last name "Clinton" or "Bush" brings to the voter's mind. It would have stung the pride a little, voting for a Virginia politician, of course, but I was gonna suck up that pride. I really thought he'd have a good chance.

I wonder why he decided to withdraw. Is he trying to play Kingmaker and position himself for a VP selection, is he looking at internal numbers that we aren't privy to or did someone already get to him and make him an offer?

Maybe he just looked at the long road ahead and decided it wasn't worth it, politics being what they are these days.

As an aside, I still would support a law that makes sitting Senators ineligible to run for the Presidency, but I reckon that's another post for another time.

1 comment:

RightOnPeachtree said...

Ditto on restricting sitting senators from running. Of course, they don't win, anyway, so a law on that may not be necessary.

I'm also disappointed that Warner is not running. I'm not in the center, but Warner sounds like someone I could at least consider voting for -- especially if an unsavory Republican was running against him. And there are some unsavory Republicans who have expressed interest in running.