Friday, October 13, 2006

Judicial Activism

Eventually, the stink gets so bad that someone has to grow a pair and demonstrate some oversight. Amazing how that little bit extra goes a long way to making things better.

In similar but opposing news, the above situation should not be confused with the Judge Hunter situation (Hat tip G Bitch).

It is one (wrong) thing to let violent offenders out of jail without bond, it is a whole other (reasonable & Constitutional) thing to let non-violent pot smokers out of ongoing lockup because the state can't find a way to fund indigent defense.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading somewhere (and I perhaps linked to it on this blog, lo those weeks ago when I was in Georgia) that Judge Hunter (good judge) issued a subpoena for Governor Blanco to explain why the state was holding people without representation....

That thing I'm talking about is common sense. Hope y'all can see that difference somewhere in them two articles. I wish I knew why, with so many volunteers ready to come to New Orleans, folks like my Pops (a retired prosecutor) can't come down thisaway and lend a legal hand to the indigent defense while the City and State get back on their feet.

4 comments:

G Bitch said...

Glad to see I am not the only one foaming at the mouth about this (and thanks for the HT). Blanco never did reply to the subpoena.

patsbrother said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
patsbrother said...

Please refrain from implying through omission that reducing bail for certain individuals is somehow unconstitutional. It's not.

Patrick Armstrong said...

GB: Yeah, I figured Blanco wouldn't respond to the subpoena. But things like that are a step in the right direction.