Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Blame it on the Rain

More 'dirt' on Barak Obama.

He may have partied in college.

You know, even back when we went through this with Clinton, Gore and Bush's forays into the realm of party enhancing goodies, I was kinda sick of it. I remember the absolute disconnect from reality that 'adults' seemed to have towards 'kids' behavior in the '80's concerning the use of drugs.

I mean, it was awful hard for ex-hippies, Miami Vice wannabes, and the people who gave us Disco to put on airs and tell us of Generations X&Y how your brain on drugs equalled breakfast food. Adults had a hard time talking about the 'good ole days' when Eric Clapton's song "Cocaine" was on radio rotation back then.

And for all the propaganda I heard about the long, downward spiral a child would face once they went from smoking to drinking to marijuana to coke to crack to heroin to meth, the proof was in the puddin' when most of us didn't go that route.

Do I know some folks who took the extracurriculars too far? Absolutely. I remember one fond night where I became the babysitter of the 'Rat King' for eight hours. But if they pulled their heads out of their asses later on and cleaned up, who am I to judge. I could throw plenty of stones if I didn't care about them throwing a Jack Daniel's bottle back at me (which gave them plenty of fond nights in return).

Did I lose some friends to the bad stuff? Oh yeah. But not many. Over the course of those losses, I learned that there is a long, long, long way to go from takin' a toke on the 4th of July or doing a line in a certain Island City restaurant's office (or bathroom) to full blown crack-headedness & strippin' at the Red Carpet Lounge.

So when a bunch of folks who lived through the '80's and who dreamed of homes in places like Island City started freaking out over Bill Clinton's joint toke, I stopped listening. That's why no one cared about Al Gore's admission to smoking marijuana in college and why a former substance abuser is currently sitting in the White House.

Now, if someone's doing lines in the Oval Office, I may tune in and turn on my "Give a Damn." But there just ain't that many of us left who don't know someone who engaged in extracurricular activities back in college, back in the suburbs or back in the 80's. I'm no longer interested in what a jackass party-er some political candidate was back in college or high school or the freakin' 80's.

That's why when I say "The '80's," you think of a very specific time with a very specific lifestyle and very specific things that happened back then. It is currently the "Get Out of Jail Free" Card for everyone between the ages of 34 and 50.

3 comments:

patsbrother said...

I hope this "revelation" did not come as a surprise to anyone, as the incredibly biased liberal media reported Sen. Obama's former marijuana and cocaine use a long, long time ago.

petallic said...

I would gleefully smoke a joint with Mr. Obama. I can't believe people still care about this or have the audacity to think it's shameworthy.

Anonymous said...

I just hope the liberal factions remember the, heretofore unmentioned in this post, frequent insults W received for his past partying. Many I personally know were equally guilty themselves.

Few or the Baby Boomers can deny any drug use at all. Obama needs to be judged on what he's done in the last 20 years or so. If it's not been 20 years since his last usage. He needs to wait a little longer to run for president.

As for Clinton, he denied inhaling which marked him as a liar right off. Gimme a break.