Sunday, February 11, 2007

All Atwitter

That coughing sound you hear is a million right wingers clearing their throats for this weeks' coming shrill excoriation of popular culture because the Dixie Chicks won some Grammys. I guess anyone who's ever listened to music, ever, will be a bunch of America-hating Hollywood latte sippers by tomorrow morning at the latest.

At least we can take our minds off astro-naughties for long enough to make substandard overplayed country/pop the story of the day. I mean, it ain't like we've got anything important to report on these days.

4 comments:

RightOnPeachtree said...

It would've been bigger news if they hadn't swept the awards. That they won is not surprising in the least. The music and movie industries take advantage of every opportunity to display their politics to the world. Subtlety is not their strong suit.

I don't mind that the DC won some awards. I just hate it for other artists in those categories that they were competing against the DC (the band) and the compelling urge of the voters to shoot a big figurative bird at Bush. It's regrettable that these award shows can't just be about the talent of the artists.

FWIW, I would equally as irritated if politicians were constantly breaking out in song on the Senate and House floors.

Ashley said...

You DO know that Al Gore has to win the Oscar now...

Dante said...

"FWIW, I would equally as irritated if politicians were constantly breaking out in song on the Senate and House floors."

Then you've obviously never seen Paint Your Wagon. Watching people break out into song who should never, ever, ever break out into song is utterly fantastic.

dadvocate said...

OK you "America-hating Hollywood latte sippers", without looking it up, who won last in 2000? Who won last year? :-)

I don't know and I don't care. I don't mix entertainment and politics although I do tend to avoid movies with a political "message" because I want to be entertained not listen to a lecture. Heck, if I want to raise my understanding of politics to that of most entertainers, I'll read a middle school civics book.