Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Christopher

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

It is a difficult experience to see your hometown in the news. I've been meaning to write this for some time, but have been unable to really put a point on it. Monsters live everywhere. Cities, towns, and little country roads north of Brunswick, Georgia.

I wonder if that one went to my high school?

Though I'm not one cut out to be a 'leave the lights on/trust noone' type, I understand that vigilance is the price of freedom. Do you raise your kids in a bubble, or do you play the odds that it won't happen to you?

I know one thing, and this always gets an argument started between me and certain members of my family who carried a badge and a gun to work for 20 some odd years: we've got to have some better way of dealing with sex offenders than what we have right now.

Case and point? A man admits to a rape, and gets 18 months when the judge suspends the sentence. A teen engages in consentual activities, and gets 10 years with little sympathy from the prosecutor. Both end up, presumably, on the sex offender list. The same list that the monster who killed Christopher was on.

Just so I got this straight: the guy who has a high school fling with another high schooler gets the book thrown at him; the guy who admits to drunkenly raping a woman gets a lenient 18 month sentence; and the child predator was already out, living next door to small children, with only a list to help working parents protect their kids? That's a heck of a system we got there.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Ree-Damn-Dickulous....no, it's ReCOCKulous!!!

I address the solution in my latest blog entry at http://hullabalooforyou.blogspot.com

patsbrother said...

In defense of the sentencing judge in the rape case you cite: the case was 20 years old, the defendant accepted responsibility and displayed genuine remorse for his crime, this crime would not have been solved without his own un-sought for admission, and the man is sentenced to ten years with all but 18 months suspended. After he gets out of prison 18 months from now, he must perform those duties affirmatively required of him as part of the suspended sentence and (I suspect, from what I know of suspended sentences) he must further abide by the law: if he fails to do either of these, I do believe the State can reincarcerate him from the remainder of the ten-year sentence. The man appears to have a good record for the past 20 years (so incapacitation is unlikely a pertinent goal).

I don't think this case should be your poster-child.

dadvocate said...

I posted about the 17 year old a couple of months ago. The boy was black, the girl white. Think that had anything to do with it? Duh! Racism lives in the courts of the South.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

DADV: I thought it sounded familiar...

The behavior of those courts is an outrage, especially considering the racial angle. If I ever know any prosecutors who act like that...

PB: Rape = 18 months? I'm sure homeboy's 'good behavior' in the interim and the future are pure consolation for the victim. The most stand up guy in that courtroom was this woman's husband, who sat through all that without committing "another felony that has no statute of limitations."

The only acceptable way a man should take responsibility and display genuine remorse for knowingly committing a rape is sepukku.

patsbrother said...

And yet you seem to be against the death penalty for murderers.

Odd.