Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Mean Kids In Middle School

To highlight their 'movement unity' and 'conservative values,' the archconservatives got together and had a big party to meet and greet the men who want to be the Republican Party's nominee for the Presidency in 2008. The biggest splash of the conference? None of the guys with the stones to put themselves up to run for the most important elected office in the world, but the coolest kid on the school bus ride home from middle school.

Yup, the Worthless Blond one is back, and the reaction is what you'd expect.

But the Coulter apologists are out there, slingin' that same old defense: Ann Coulter is important because she pokes fun at the 'political correctness' that stifles real debate in this country.

You want to hear about stifling debate? If my Pops, my Moms, my Aunts or my Grandmas had ever watched me get up in front of a suit and tie crowd and use language like that, they would have died of embarassment - but not before they kill't me dead by whoppin' my white ass bloody with their belts, hickory branches, yardsticks wrapped in duct tape or anything else within arms reach that might be used as an attitude adjuster. Other people's pops and mamas and grandmamas woulda helped 'em do it, too. Not a damn one of 'em would have cared about how much money I made off 'a talk like that in my last book, neither.

And not one of 'em woulda gone to jail for it, neither. Coroner back home woulda just said, 'boy shoulda known better.'

Why? 'Cause talk like that ain't bein' rebellious against 'political correctness,' that kinda talk is nothing better'n trash. Kids talk like that 'cause their friends do it and they don't know better. Kitchen folk talk like that because what's said in the kitchen means different things. Sometimes folks who are familiar with each other will talk like that while fishin,' huntin,' or just yammerin' away at one another in private settings. But if you're a grown adult standing in front of people wearing suits and ties with the cameras on? Trash talks like that.

Polite people who know how to act with manners and dignity and class don't need to talk like that to get their points across, and can be civil even with people who disagree with them.

That ain't 'political correctness,' that's bein' raised right by your mama and daddy and knowin' how to behave.

American, conservative values indeed.

8 comments:

Dante said...

It looks like dear Pat is quite fond of the new trend of talking Southern. This fad was recently made popular again by the other Clinton and Mr. Obama. Maybe I could jump in the act, too. I otta punch yo momma in the mouth. How was that?

So I hear a certain word being thrown around on the radio probably about once a month or more and that's ok. Never a peep made about it. There isn't even a controversy made about it like there is with a certain N word being thrown around by the hip-hop and rap communities. I can't even recall an instance of anyone trying to get the particular song I'm thinking about pulled.

But then Coulter goes and throws out the same word (in the same derogatory context) and it's a problem. The only difference I can find between the two is that Edwards doesn't have an earring as far as I know.

Not all slurs are treated equally. Right now, slurs regarding sexuality are just not as taboo as slurs regarding race. Coulter might not have used the best judgement here but the firestorm over the slur is bigger than most people's issue with that particular slur.

liberalandproud said...

Dante, I don't remember the last person Mark Knopfler endorsed for president, do you?
(BTW, good job pulling a song from over twenty years ago)

Dante said...

"Dante, I don't remember the last person Mark Knopfler endorsed for president, do you?"

No, but I'd take the endorsement just as seriously as I would take any endorsement from Ms. Coulter (which is by the way "not seriously at all"). I might even take it more seriously depending on his reasoning. Besides, I thought Knofler was a Brit. At the very least I know he used to live in Knotting Hill. If my memory of British politics is right, he'd endorse a political party as a whole and hope they put the right person in charge.

"BTW, good job pulling a song from over twenty years ago"

That still gets quite extensive radio play. Usually when something is inflammatory now but wasn't when it was written/recorded/etc, it has a habit of disappearing in modern culture, not being embraced by it. I sure don't hear Track 6 from John Lennon's Shaved Fish album receiving any airtime though I do still hear every other track from that album on the radio often enough.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

New trend of talking Southern? I'd think I earned that right back in 1979 and 1980 when I was first learnin' to talk - in the South - where I have lived my whole life.

In other words, if yur neew co-werkers in New Orleens, Loo-easy-anna say you talk lakh uh hillbilly, you might be a redneck.

I'm allowed to get my Alabama up now and again, just 'cause I know how to talk pretty don't mean I ain't Southern.

Sheeet, Texas, you know better'nat.

As far as the difference between when Coulter does it and some other knucklehead does it is that some other knucklehead doesn't usually have apologists who describe his or her use of the word as fighting the influence of political correctness.

Dante said...

"Sheeet, Texas, you know better'nat."

Hey, I did use a line from honorary Texan Jackie Gleason as my Southern talk for the day. I just noticed the Southern talk was a bit overused here compared to your previous posts where you only throw out the occasional "folks" or something of that nature. I thought you might be swept up in the newest craze, that's all.

"As far as the difference between when Coulter does it and some other knucklehead does it is that some other knucklehead doesn't usually have apologists who describe his or her use of the word as fighting the influence of political correctness."

That's because nobody attacks Knopfler. Sometimes (just for fun) I do point out the offending lyrics in Money for Nothing to folks who like the song but tend to get offended by such talk. I usually get the humdrum "It was a different time back then" apologists, but I did once get the gem, "Well, you have to be hard core hetero to be able to write songs like 'Romeo and Juliet'." I've adopted the reasoning as my official response to any attacks on Knopfler (not that there ever are any).

After much consideration, I've come up with my official apologist stance on Coulter's speech: It was a different time last week.

nikka said...

In the lyrics to "money for nothing" he's describing himself with those choice words, in a mocking way, to portray the bigoted response many people had to the rock n roll fashions and lifestyle in the 80’s. It's a completely different context than Ann Coulter calling John Edwards by the same offensive slur.

I knew when i was 8, and that song came out, that it was different when the singer used the word as he did in the song than when people called me that in school. It's not even in the same ballpark.

liberalandproud said...

Right on Nikka!

Dante said...

A new Knopfler apologist? How interesting. I like the approach. It's akin to some Blazing Saddles apologist arguments I've heard. It also shares some common ground with the it's ok for black people to use the N-word argument but with a few minor but significant differences.

I still think if you replaced the f-word in question with the n-word in Money for Nothing, that song would be seen a bit differently and be a bit more reviled today even if Knopfler was commenting on how others saw him.

But back to my main point, it's a big deal when Coulter says something like this because you don't like Coulter. If you did, you'd probably come up with your own apologists idea like we've recently seen for Mr. Knopfler. We've already seen 3 from 2 people (Knoplfer doesn't endorse political candidates, the song is 20 yrs old, and he's commenting on other people's image of himself).

It's also worth noting that I'm not too bothered by Coulter's comments, Knopfler's lyrics (I rather like the song), track 6 of Shaved Fish, or even most of the dialog in Blazing Saddles. I'm a sticks and stones kind of guy. I just like calling out the double standard. And it most certainly is a double standard.