Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Possibilities are Endless

Here's some real good distraction for any free time you have today. During March of every year I have memory for, I remember hearing at least something - and I remember losing at least a little cash over - this thing called 'bracketology.'

But I had never even considered something like this.

I must say, it leads me to some intriguing matchups, from whence I realized rather quickly that I would have seeded the entire brackets a little differently.

I mean, having to face off two shuttle disasters in the Where Were You When Moments Bracket in the round of 16 was just heartwrenching.

My final four for the Moments: Hurricane Katrina v. Oklahoma City bombing; San Francisco World Series Earthquake v. Shuttle Challenger exploding. All four I watched on television screens. You all can pretty much guess which one ended up lasting through the whole bracket, and that deal was sealed when I had to pick it over the Berlin Wall falling.

My final four for the Film Deaths was much tougher, especially in the loaded bottom bracket. I mean, in the Elite Eight, I had the birth of Alien v. the opening scene of Jaws; Darth Vader striking down Obi Wan vs. Tom Hanks' "earn this" death in Saving Private Ryan? That's a personal final four right there, and that's after the tough desicions against Dr. Strangelove, Platoon and Thelma and Louise. But we still had to deal with the top seeds from the upper bracket: Bridge on the River Kwai and Raiders of the Lost Arc. (I also wonder what it says that Alec Guiness showed up in two of my final four choices, as well as movies directed by Speilberg and two starring Harrison Ford?)

Anyone who knows me well enough can guess which one ended up standing alone here. Yes, it was Darth Vader and Obi Wan. Kiss my geek rear end.

I must go out and get that book.

4 comments:

Dante said...

This seeding sucks. I'm at the quarter finals and 9/11 is already out while crap like the San Francisco earthquake and John Lennon shot are still in the running. And the Miracle can't even get out the gate because it's put up against Oklahoma City. With the object being moments "seared into your memory" Katrina doesn't stand a chance at the semi-final round it probably deserves because it has to go up against the Berlin Wall so early. And where is the fall of the Soviet Union?!

In the end of my bracket, the Berlin Wall went up against the Challenger and never really stood a chance because the real final was played out in the quarter finals when Challenger took on 9/11. It's hard to ever forget seeing those people jumping out of a building because it was better than burning to death but that just can't overcome watching the Challenger explode like that. I can still remember the look on my teacher's face when she realized what was happening and ran to turn off the TV. Half the room was crying and the other half wasn't because they didn't understand what just happened or just couldn't believe it.

Dante said...

The seeding is somewhat better is film deaths. I also had Guinness in the final four but not from Star Wars. Star Wars didn't make it out the gate because it went up against the only part of the Godfather movie I really liked (also a final four). I probably also would've put Abe Vigoda's last scene ahead of Darth and Obi Wan. Too bad "I am your father" is not a death scene or it would've made it a lot farther. The other two in my final four are Travolta shooting Marvin and the Iocane poisoning (because I'm a real geek).

The final two were Sonny and Wallace.

Because Sonny comes from Italy, as everyone knows, and Italy is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as Sonny is not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the Godfather. And you must have suspected I would have known the movie's origin, so I can clearly not choose the Princess Bride.

What's that?

Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's pick. I'll take the bottom bracket.

You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched brackets when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against Dante when film death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

(If you can't figure out which one I picked then I'm not going to tell you.)

liberalandproud said...

9/11 won my tournament but didn't make Dante or Pat's final four?
By the way, the other two winners for me were "Where's the Beef?" and Wallace Shawn's wine poisoning from "The Princess Bride" (Slim Pickens on a nuke in Dr. Strangelove came close in the final). By the way, Dante, I have a new-found deep respect for you.
I didn't even touch the marital arguments tournament, having zero experience in that category (thank goodness!)

the lady said...

so here's my results...

for the where you were when final four--OJ, OK, Princess Di and 9/11. the bout between OJ and 9/11 goes to OJ

for the film deaths final four---
Leo drowns in Titanic, Rickman's fall in Die Hard, Travolta backseat shot in Pulp and The Vader/Obi Wan duel. the bout between Rickman and Star Wars actually goes to Rickman.(now had they chosen Anakin death in Return, that would have won)

for the Ad Slogans final four---
Where's the beef?, Campbell's Soup, Got Milk and M&M's. the bout between Campbell's and Got milk goes to Got milk. although i must admit i felt silly ranking ad campaigns. i mean, do you go with the ones you remember best or the ones that lasted the longest or what??