Friday, March 23, 2007

Then who's the VICE President? James Garner?

Let's play a little $20,000 Pyramid:

B-movie actor...
State-level politician...
Presidential candidate...

Ronald Reagan is not the answer we're looking for. The correct answer would be Fred Thompson. You might remember him from such movies as Feds, Iron Eagle III, and Days of Thunder. (He did actually do some good movie roles in there, too.) Mona Charen is over on Town Hall absolutely gushing about how good a candidate Thompson would be. He recently took the majority (not just the plurality) of a Republican candidate straw poll vote on hannity.com that included the current favorites such as Guiliani, Gingrich, and Romney.

Unlike Reagan, Thompson actually splits time acting and being involved in politics. He's already been a US Attorney, a campaign manager for the "Great Conciliator" Howard Baker, and a US Senator in Tennessee. His strong points seem to be Bush's weakest points: Thompson is a really real conservative and he's articulate.

Personally, my favorite current Republican candidate is Gingrich but I don't think he really has a shot at winning. I think his first divorce will do him in. Sure politicians divorce all the time but asking for one while your wife is in the middle of her cancer treatment is a little more than most people will probably forgive. I'm not willing to call Thompson the second coming of Reagan at this point but he has some potential. So far, he's merely decided to "keep the door open" to a Presidential bid but I would like to see him go up against this relatively weak crop of candidates and see what he has to say.

3 comments:

liberalandproud said...

I think it'd be interesting to have a split ticket with Sam Waterston as VP. He's the only one we can trust to protect us from the robots.

Joe Leonardi said...

I wrote about Senator Fred Thompson at my site

www.joeleonardi.wordpress.com

or

http://joeleonardi.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/a-republican-to-vote-for/

dadvocate said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this at this blog before, but when they were still married my older sister's husband was an attorney in Thompson's firm. My sister and her ex are staunch Democrats. My sister's daughter was an intern for Clinton and Gore.

They both have the highest respect for Fred Thompson. He grew up poor and is the proverbial self-made man. He is a brilliant attorney and was well before he first tried acting.

I would vote for Thompson without hesitation. If he becomes a candidate, I will.