Saturday, April 21, 2007

And the Truth Shall Set You Free

I just want to scream the scream of someone vindicated by the NFL's instant reply challenge. But, then again, I already had this conversation when I was back east in Georgia. The question posed: "Why rebuild a city under sea level."

Answer: "Well, because it isn't under sea level, for one. Not even half of it."

I mean, c'mon, George W. Bush didn't even get half and he got to be President of the United States of America.

Snide commentary aside, the above response was not believed by the questioner*. This would not have been too agitating had we been standing anywhere other than 30 inches above sea level at the time, on Island City, Georgia, that positions uncounted millions of dollars worth of property tax base an average of five feet above sea level. And our second largest industry is golf.

But I did discover the way to win that argument: We** rebuild Florida every two years, and they keep building landfill off the sides of that state, and then putting uncounted millions of dollars worth of insured homes on said land. Repeat this again and again and again and you eventually win the argument. Not a usual win, but a "You're right, I'm wrong, you win" win. Victory utter and total.

Any 'conservative' in America who hesitates when asked "should we rebuild New Orleans," should then have to answer the question, "Well, what about Florida?" They're either with us or they're with the hurricanes. Louisiana has an important amount of the strategic oil and natural gas piplines running through the place. Florida has a giant cartoon mouse who marries homosexuals. They must either commit, in principle, to rebuilding New Orleans, Florida, and anywhere else unfortunate enough to straddle that strategic fault line called the ocean; or they must publicly state that they are ready and willing to give Florida back to the Seminoles, alligators and hurricanes, and they're ready to watch MLB spring training in Detroit in March.

Outside.

* The questioner also professed his love for "how liberal" I was, but asked me when I was going to grow out of it. That's right, NOLA bloggers, down here I'm considered so conservative they call me a 'right winger.' On Island City, they call me a communist. While. We're. Tee-ing. Off. At. Oak. Grove.

** As in the great Republic "WE." As in the United (key word) States of America.

10 comments:

dadvocate said...

BTW - Clinton only go 43% in 1992. That's less than half, I believe.

Dante said...

"I mean, c'mon, George W. Bush didn't even get half and he got to be President of the United States of America."

You really need to get over that. There was this little thing called the 2004 Presidential election where Bush became the first President to win with a real majority in 16 years.

"Any 'conservative' in America who hesitates when asked "should we rebuild New Orleans," should then have to answer the question, "Well, what about Florida?""

That's only fair. No to both of them as long as "we" means the US taxpayer. You act like conservatives are all gung-ho to rebuild Florida or Alabama at the taxpayer's expense every time a hurricane comes in and sweeps them out to sea and that's just not the case. There's private insurance available for things like that. Now if that insurance starts getting squirrely as they sometimes do and try to back out of paying for damages they should be paying for, that is where this conservative wants the government to step in.

But in short, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford to live there. New Orleans has a lot of historical importance and if you want to go in there and fund your own rebuilding, I do sincerely applaud you.

sophmom said...

Yeah, but, dadvocate, when Clinton won in '92, Volusia County FL didn't record 16,000 negative votes for his opposition.

Dante, those dang insurance companies sure do seem to get "squirrely" when they have to actually pay.

Cousin Pat, I see you went home for a spell. Nice post, darlin'. Excellent point.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

RE: The President. Yeah, in 2004 we should have just gone ahead and ran the yellow dog.

As far as taxpayers: Dante, this is why I like your version of conservatism (and why I define myself as a liberal). You actually do, and have, asked the questions about why we rebuild Florida every year. Though I don't agree with your conclusions, I cannot argue with your thought process.

Thing is, and I pay attention to this sort of thing, I never, never, never heard serious debate over rebuilding Florida, Alabama, Mississippi or the Carolinas. Never.

And yes, I hear plenty of conservatives who are gung ho about rebuilding said communities at taxpayer expense. They all either A) live in said communities or B) make a great deal of money rebuilding said communities.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

The only individual who ever argued how much Bill Clinton got was Bill Clinton.

Heh.

Thats why we never talk about 'how much Bill Clinton got' during his Presidency, it leads us right down that road to 'middle school' style debate.

TravelingMermaid said...

That's right, NOLA bloggers, down here I'm considered so conservative they call me a 'right winger.' On Island City, they call me a communist.

LMAO! Honey, I'm right there with ya. I've always said Nola isn't really in the US south. Thank God.

dadvocate said...

Like I've always said, "Cheaters never win and winners never...." Uh, maybe that's not true anymore. :-)

Those old, retirees in Florida couldn't figure out the ballot form. We used the same one in Ohio where I vote. No problems. I don't believe the Democrat claims any more than you believe the Republican claims.

But I do recognize that all Democrats are as pure as the driven snow (which you don't get much of in Florida). That's why I voted Republican. I just can't stand all that virtue and altruism. Makes me look bad.

sophmom said...

Hacking Democracy

dadvocate said...

sophmom - I program Internet marketing research surveys for a living. I see your point regarding electronic voting. I am very leary of it myself. There are too many ways to sabotage it and too few ways to make it adequately secure.

sophmom said...

I mean, how can you account for negative votes? It just makes no sense. I did read last week that the Volusia County issue was going to be taken back up again after being dropped when the Supreme Court ruled Bush won. We need to get this mess straight before 2008.