Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Other Frenzy

Yesterday was everyone's favorite day of the year. Yes, yesterday was that magical day when taxes were due. This was the first year I beat out the standard deduction so I'm happy about that but compared to my federal tax burden, I really feel I'm not getting my money's worth out of Georgia state income taxes.

I don't know about you guys (and gals) but I use the good old postal service to deliver my tax documents and payments for me. Some people insist on using that new-fangled internet to e-file their returns. Those same people who decided to use TurboTax as the method of e-filing yesterday were in for quite a shock when the e-file system melted down on them.

Intuit (the people who make TurboTax) are telling us that they're working on a deal with the IRS to consider the returns on time even though they aren't but since the people trying to e-file didn't know that beforehand, I imagine tensions were quite high in many households. Given the rather static percentages of people who file at the deadline and a predictable though growing percentage of that number who elect to e-file, at the very least Intuit should've been able to handle the load.

One thing I don't get is that apparently people kept trying to e-file and then just gave up when it didn't work. Why the heck didn't you just print out your return (a function which was still working) and then head to your nearest post office that was staying open late for tax day?! Good grief. Take some responsibility for yourself! Don't just put forth minimal effort and then complain when things don't work out for you.

Here's the forum for all the PO'd TurboTax customers. What's really sad is that the forum was working when the e-file was (and apparently still may be) down. I would be quite irate if I couldn't do something important like e-file my taxes while the stupid message board was working without issue.

1 comment:

liberalandproud said...

And I thought I was procrastinating by efiling Monday!