Sunday, April 29, 2007

When I Become a Tyrant

Most of the time, I'm a pretty hell-rasin' individualistic fella. Individual rights and civil liberties are very, very high on my list of things to protect. This comes from the keening within my Southern blood, my blood-red-clay-content, I am sure. I believe, like Jefferson stated, that due process of law and a system of courts are sometimes the only things that can keep a nation faithful to its constitution and laws.

I try very, very hard to maintain that line of thought when looking at a peice of information or a policy decision. Because sometimes, too often it seems, my initial reaction to things like this would border on the tyrannical.

Hmmm, the property rights of the very few vs. the property rights, national security, economic sustainability of the many, many, many; perhaps even the Republic itself. I know what my knee jerk reaction is, anyway.

Luckily, being a thinking creature, I can come away from the immediacy of the media piece and begin to roll the idea around in my head. What compromises could be offered, what accords could be met, what necesary actions must be taken to make sure that we end up without a zero sum game and that all fortunes, in this case especially, rise a little higher?

2 comments:

Leigh C. said...

Yep, it's a science officer Spock-ian dilemma: those times when "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one." How do you get everybody to truly see that there are certain things that are more important than themselves without slamming them over the head with it? When are the draconian measures waaay more important than quibbling over property rights?

Dante said...

""In this case, everyone has been cooperative, they're all on board with this and want to see it done," LeBas said."

So what's the problem? I think a general rule on how to handle such a situation is a very bad idea. It really depends on the specifics of the case. In this case, it may have taken a while but the argument was strong enough that everyone is cooperating. The permissions LeBas and company had to secure looked pretty reasonable to me. So if they can just get this done in the next 10 years, it looks like the crisis has been averted.