Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Whiskey State of Mind

I've been in a decided whiskey state of mind since Tuesday.

Maggie, a friend I came up with at UGA, was in town after graduating from Georgia State with an MBA. She was on a week long tour from the ATL to keep her sanity intact, and was traveling to New Orleans and Monroe to do it. An excellent choice, apparently. She crashed with me a coupla days in Broadmoor. I took her out round the town, she loved the food and music (we caught open mic at Carrolton Station on Tues, as well as rolling down the street to the Maple Leaf to catch a set by the Rebirth Brass Band), and we hit the bottles pretty hard over at Parasols.

I took her on the Misery Tour of the City on Thursday.

That pretty much set the tone for the week, as far as alcohol consumption was concerned. I reckon I'm back from my "giving up beer and liquor for Lent" thing. Good. I had the tolerance of a mewling, newborn kitten there for a while. SAWB would have started threatening to photoshop a "lolpat" if that nonsense had lasted any longer.

Oh, wait, some of those already exist...

Then, today I got a package in the mail, a CD of drinking songs from Athens' country bands, and Fester Hagood's CD. My boy Gary in Athens sent said CD's to me. But then there was more - I was really mad that last Saturday I wasn't able to be at Tasty World in Athens, for a Solid Gold Cinco De Mayo. What do you know? Gary, who will henceforth be known by the Injun name I give him now as "Owed Many Beers" done sent me a DVD of the show.

He will need to live up to such a big name during next year's Mardi Gras....

These facts, coupled with the strange and vaired reactions of New Orleans women to my particular personality, as well as the strange and varied personalities I work with at the Burrito Stand, ended up with me mainlining Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey at Finn McCools last evening and early this morning.

Thank the Good Lord Above for taxicabs.

Which is why I am blogging at 3 in the morning on a Sunday, and updating my blog's quote with Drive By Truckers lyrics.

What a town. Gravity's Gone, indeed.

4 comments:

Leigh C. said...

Awww, man...

We DO need to find you a good woman. She won't be at the bottom of a bottle of Wild Turkey or Maker's Mark, however...

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

Oh, evidenced by the fact that I could still edit HTML at 3 in the morning and woke up with little hangover does prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was nowhere near the bottom of that particular bottle.

Had I stayed out another hour, the conclusion may have been different, but still. Drunk blogging is awesome, it is like the weird combination of rock star and geek, without the strange baggage that is emo music.

And I'm surrounded by good women; they're just married, related or staying out waay later than I am, working their way to the bottom of the bottle of imported red wine.

To which I raise my glass in salute.

Leigh C. said...

Oy vey.

Margaret said...

Apparently Google thinks my name is Margaret, and it's not exactly wrong...

Well, my post-MBA trip to New Orleans and Monroe turned into my 2,268 mile trek through New Orleans, Vicksburg, Monroe, Memphis, St. Louis, and Louisville. Did I have some steam to blow off? I think so. You were the best host ever, and New Orleans is a hell of a town. Ever since I left, I've been trying to figure out how to convert my house into an outdoor wine bar. Thanks again for the hospitality and the booze.