Monday, July 30, 2007

Ha Ha!

So Friday night I did something I haven't done since 1994*: I went and saw a movie on opening night. I even paid full price and didn't catch the matinee. What glorious movie event was so enticing that I dropped $7 for a ticket and braved the long theater lines? The Simpsons. It's funny because that movie wasn't even on my radar of movies to see. The only other movie I've been to the theater to see this summer is the Transformers and while I did enjoy it, I probably wouldn't have seen it yet if an old friend didn't ask if my wife and I wanted to go. I just don't go to movies often. And I figured I'd wait this one out until I could rent it. But then I saw the ad Friday that it was out that day and immediately thought, "I must go see this movie." Stupid advertisements.

It was a good movie. It's not as funny as some previous seasons. I'd say that
4 Monorail-level episodes would be more enjoyable but the Simpsons movie was still pretty good. The animation was a bit off. I couldn't place what was wrong with it but my brother pointed out they were using the same style they used on Futurama. My only real story complaint is that I'm pretty sure the Bart subplot was done before (a couple of times) and that Bart in general really wasn't that interesting a character after the first 15 minutes or so. That's ok since the Simpsons really didn't become the show it did until it stopped focusing on Bart and shifted focus to Homer. And Homer was spot on.

* Pulp Fiction for those of you playing at home. That's a rather interesting movie when you have no idea what to expect beforehand. I still remember how a lot of the audience walked out after the overdose scene.

2 comments:

liberalandproud said...

Because of family commitments I didn't get to see The Simpsons until midnight Saturday, but I gat to see it on an Imax screen. And the cinema in Tampa serves teh alcohol, so I got to enjoy a cold one, too. Mmm . . . beer. Biggest advantage of the Simpsons on the big screen (spoiler alert) hearing Marge curse.

charleyana said...

I suppose I'm missing out since I've never watched The Simpson's....I'm just not into animation.
However, Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies.