Sunday, October 21, 2007

Not Even Close

Bobby Jindal was elected governor of Louisiana in a walk. Or what passes for one down in this part of the world. There are a lot of 'firsts' and 'sinces' because of this one. I never thought I'd see it, but every deep Southern state is currently chaired by members of the GOP. That definitely hasn't happened since Reconstruction.

What does it all mean? Nothing. If Jindal is all talk, nothing is gained. But now is his big chance to prove how smart he is in front of the whole wide world. And I think he's been itching for that chance since he was a wee lad. Now, I'm not a big fan of his, and I'm not saying he's going to do a great job in Baton Rouge. But I AM a big fan of the "anything greater than zero = more" philosophy of government, no matter how cynical that makes me. The bar is set pretty low round these parts, so far as leadership is concerned.

I hope he does though, because, from my limited time here, it appears that anything resembling political leadership in this part of the world was more concerned with passing the buck than proving how smart they were. Maybe that's the paradigm shift this place needs. I hope he delivers, and I don't care if he's a Republican, from the crazy wing of the Christian faith or the son of an immigrant. Hell, after this last year in Louisiana, I wouldn't care if he was from another planet entirely.

'Cause now it ain't about the talk you talk, or how you acted before you won the election, or how many demons you fought in college. It is how you behave after the results are in that matters. And, more than any other governor (again) since Reconstruction, Jindal has a pile of work on his desk that's been building for decades, and has grown by orders of magnitude over the last two years.

And, before you ask, no, I didn't vote for him.

No comments: