Friday, October 12, 2007

What the world needs now...

... is a little bit thicker skin. Some Denver mom is upset because her kid read an email sent home by the school system pointing out that her kid is obese.

From the article:
""The part that upset her the most as she started reading it, there it stated that she was overweight and she started to cry saying, 'Mom, that school tells me I'm fat.' So, it was very heart wrenching," said Flaurette Martinez."

Well, is she? Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm a good 25lbs over my ideal body weight. I'm fat. If you're fat, go ahead and post here and be proud of it. It's part of who you are. We live in a great society that has advanced to the point where a restaurant spends more on labor, retail space, etc than they spend on their grocery bill. You can buy 40,000 or so hamburgers at full retail price with what the average household makes in a day. We've outsourced food! That's how cheap it is. So some of us eat a lot of it?

""If she would have dropped this letter, a student may have found it and may have exposed it to other students," said Martinez. "Anything specific to the child should be mailed. It should not be given to the child.""

If your friends have to find a letter you've dropped to know that you're fat, you're doing pretty good. I wouldn't take kids making fun of you after the letter very seriously. If you've been made fun of pre-letter, it's not like the letter is adding too much ammunition. If it bothers you that much, there are ways to lose weight. (There are also ways to silence bullies but taking that route is generally frowned upon in modern school systems.) At least the schools aren't doing graphical analysis on facial features* and sending home notices that your kid is ugly.

* Using only proportion and symmetry, computer programs are able to identify with a good level of success those who are attractive and those who are not.

2 comments:

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

I'm in a very strange place where some folks consider me to have some extra poundage, and some folks laugh when I say that. I enjoy my apathy to the situation.

But lets be honest: every good woman wants a big boy to cook for. If he don't appreciate the cookin', that's the first step to not appreciatin' at all.

Heh.

liberalandproud said...

I'm fat. Wish I wasn't quite so fat, but i'm glad I'm not skinny. If I'm ever skinny, feel free to refer me to an oncologist, 'cause there's probably something wrong.