Wednesday, December 05, 2007

25 Skills to Have

This article is titled "25 Skills Every Man Should Know" but really anyone should learn how to do most of these. How many do you know how to do? Some of them are more important than others. For example, you can learn to use a torque wrench by thumbing through the instructions so I wouldn't go out of my way to learn that before it's needed. However, learning to maneuver a car out of a skid should be something everyone learns to do well before it's needed.

Personally, I can confidently do 21 of the items. I've never cleaned a bolt-action rifle. I have no idea how to do CPR. And I don't trust a radiator hose I've patched to last for long enough to be useful. I've tried and failed that same technique on a pressure washer hose. I'm also not a pro at rescuing capsized boaters. I could probably do it if needed, but I wouldn't mark it as a "Yes."

One thing I will say is that if you wish to learn how to do any of these things, start by disregarding any instructions you see on MSN. The instructions for framing a wall are downright scary. They'll have you cutting up your floor instead of measuring and cutting your bottom plate right in the first place for a door.

2 comments:

dadvocate said...

I've done 22 of the 25, including clean a bolt action rifle. No biggie. I've never performed CPR but was Red Cross certified at one point.

Never hooked up an HDTV or messed with a wireless network either. But, I'm sure neither is too difficult. Right now I'm wishing I could confidentally re-roof my house. I'd save a bundle.

Meredith said...

"One thing I will say is that if you wish to learn how to do any of these things, start by disregarding any instructions you see on MSN. The instructions for framing a wall are downright scary."

no joke.