Thursday, December 27, 2007

The most wonderful time of the year.

Post-Christmas sales have started. One of the biggest sale items I'm seeing are the games for the Nintendo Wii. If you managed to get a Wii, now is not a bad time to buy Zelda or U R Mr Gay. Some people are accusing Nintendo of intentionally creating a shortage but I wager incompetence and fear were bigger reasons for the shortage. Nintendo didn't believe enough in their own system to up production when it would've meant something. Now they just don't have enough of them.

I personally want a Wii but refuse to put effort into finding one. I'm not going out of my way to force Nintendo to take my money thank you very much. They had better hope I keep interest long enough to find one. Last year I was kicking around the idea but there were none available. When I finally saw one in the store, it was getting near spring time. Boat repairs and maintenance took center stage at that point and there was just no money for something best used indoors. I didn't even think about it again until playing one about two weeks ago. If it's spring time again before I can get my hands on one, you can bet money that it will be next winter before I even consider it again.

Brick-and-mortar stores in general struggled this year while on-line retailers did quite well. You can probably guess where the sales will be. I'll be heading to Target today to try and score one of those plug-into-your-TV Ms Pac Man games for $10 if they still have any. I'm looking at taking one apart and wiring it up to some proper arcade controls for some proper Ms Pac-Man/Galaga goodness. I even found some old leaf spring joysticks and buttons to give it the right feel (springy instead of clicky). There are plenty of other odds and ends on sale there.

I'll probably also head to the board game kiosk at the mall to see if they've clearenced Settlers of Catan enough for my liking. For those who don't know, Settlers is easily the best board game made in the past 20 years or so and probably one of the best board games ever made. I'd put it 3rd behind Stratego and Chess. (Yeah, I know I put Stratego above Chess but I'm a sucker for incomplete information games. I would put dark chess above Stratego if it didn't require 3 boards and a ref who knows the game well.)

In non-nerd news, clothes sold rather poorly (especially women's clothing). Expect some massive sales for clothing in general.

What are you guys looking at getting this late-December-early-January shopping season? What are you returning?

No comments: