Saturday, December 08, 2007

Tour Guides: Open Thread

The folks over at Georgia Sports Blog are compiling a eating/drinking guide for that army of Bulldawg fans that will overrun the Crescent City 'round about New Years. I've got my suggestions, for sure, but I wanted to open the field (especially to our Saints regulars who know what it is like to have fun in and around the Superdome) to any suggestions. When you write this, remember, almost every red and black clad individual making the trip will, at some point of the weekend, stroll down Bourbon Street.

My suggestions:

French Quarter
Angeli on Decatur - good pizza all night long (Decatur & Gov. Nicholls?)
Napoleon House - nice place for lunch, try the bread pudding (Chartres & St Louis)
Molly's on the Market - drinks in a low key atmosphere (Decatur & Ursuline)
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop - drinks in an 18th Century atmosphere (Bourbon & St. Phillip)
And when you're done with the Quarter, walk East past Esplanade to find Frenchmen Street, and walk up and down like it is Clayton Street in Athens.

Downtown (CBD)/Warehouse District
coming soon

Uptown
coming soon

Around the Superdome

2 comments:

Leigh C. said...

CBD: Lil' Dizzy's on Poydras, across from the federal courts, might be a good place to go. I know I've dissed Luke before, but I've heard good things about their raw bar, and their daily special two-course dinners are a good value. Mother's is good for debris and gut-busting breakfast and lunch. Michaul's if you wanna take in the whole Cajun dancing and Cajun cooking thing without schlepping all the way to the Riverwalk mall area.

Good CBD bars: Ernst Cafe, Vic's Kangaroo Cafe (I don't know if they still do Jamaican Jerk Chicken night - there were discounted Red Stripes along with it), The Ugly Dog Saloon, Lucy's Retired Surfers' Restaurant and Bar, and...I'm tapped.

Good to see you...

jeffrey said...

We did Lil' Dizzy's the morning before the Panthers game. They have a buffet-style brunch. The fried chicken was outstanding but the place was a bit overwhelmed by the crowd. I think I wrote about it somewhere.

Let's see...
French Quarter I've been pleased with El Gato Negro (near the French Market.. two doors down from Louisiana Pizza Kitchen) Excellent pork tamale, good queso fundido.

Yo Mama's (St.Peter street.. across from Pat o's) excellent hamburgers downstairs, tequila bar upstairs.

Attiki Bar and Grill (Decatur St between Iberville and Bienville) Middle-Eastern fare much better than the gyro stands.

Upscale F.Q. dining: The best for my money are Irene's (Corner St. Philip and Chartres) Classic but inventive Creole Italian, and oddly enough Mr. B's (Iberville and Royal) It's where I took my fiance the night I proposed.

Bars: I like the local divey places. Johnny White's, Molly's, Monaghan's, and I guess Georgia people can come to Fahy's (since they aren't playing LSU) so long as they don't crowd the dart board.

Uptown I like Baru (Caribbean corner Amelia and Magazine) have never had a bad meal there. I also like Crepe Nanou (French. Robert Street just off Prytania) and, of course, Juan's Flying Burrito (Taqueria on Magazine near Sophie Wright)

Dunno if that helps.