Wednesday, February 27, 2008

RSDictionary

Teaching in the RSD is one hell of an experience. One of the many things we have to deal with is the new vocabulary we are exposed to. In light of that, I hope to present a list of new vernacular that I have picked up, with their translations into everyday American language.

The one I will start with is the one I use the most of.

sneak: verb 1. to conceal one's movements; 2. (RSD) to physically strike someone else, usually with a fist connecting to the face of one's opponent in a sudden or unexpected manner. Past tense: snuck.

You can see where this is going. Here is an example of the "proper" usage of the term "sneak" in an everyday sentence:

"I'm gonna sneak you!"

This sentence is usually said at high volume, with the emphasis on the verb itself. The translation to everyday American:

"You have displeased me, insulted me, or wronged me in some way. As a consequence of this, I now threaten you with unexpected physical violence at some future time. I do this at a high volume so those around us are made aware of both my righteous displeasure with your behavior, and to indicate with my level of volume the degree of my displeasure. I do this whether or not I actually intend to carry through on the stated threat. A response is neither necessary nor expected, as the verbal device I am using is generally rhetorical in nature."

Word.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Is that first sentence to be read as though Rick James is saying it? 'Cause that's how I read it.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

You can read it that way, because I feel like Rick looked in that interview. But it has too many syllables to be catch.

We do have a tag that says "whiskey is a helluva drink."