Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Politics and Beer

Two of my favorite subjects.

We're discussing the 'beer drinkers more likely to vote for McCain' angle over at DADvocate. Though I'd be forced to agree that beer drinkers (I reckon this means folks who have more than 4 beers a week or something) taken as a whole population would favor McCain if the election were held today. Probably by double digit percentages.

I can say this with some certainty because of the high populations of Bud and Coors drinkers who will likely vote for the Republican candidate. Also, since Bud and Coors drinkers make up such a giant swath of the beer drinking population, this absolutely skews the numbers to the Republican side.

But I want to see a break down of who the voters are more likely to favor, and cross reference that with the brand of beer they are likely to consume. I think that would be a fascinating study.

For the record, I qualify as both a likely Democratic voter and a likely beer drinker. When you see me out, there is close to an 80% chance you will see me with beer in my hand as opposed to liquor or wine. When you see me with beer (between March and October) there is a 40% chance that beer will be a PBR (95.5% likely to have a lime in it - the now infamous "Redneck on Vacation" beverage), there is a 40% chance that beer will be an Abita of some variety, there is a 10% chance of it being either a Miller Lite or High Life, and a 10% chance it will be something else. When the temperature is over 85 degrees F, there is a statistical 100% chance that the beer will be some variety of pilsner or IPA. Especially if I am eating spicy food at the time.

I don't know how that would add up to the national statistics of beer drinking + likely voters, but that's about where I'd stand, statistically. Again, I'd love to see a study like that (so if you know of one, let me know). What' I'd love even more is to hold (since Michigan and Florida can't get it together) a Beer Drinking American Primary Vote.

And what I'd love the most is for all the Beer Drinking American to just get together and apply for non-geographical statehood so we can get our 2 Senators and 232 US House members and electoral votes. That would just be awesome, because the campaigns would have the best ads (and they'd all be positive), we would have only one political party (called, aptly, The Party) and we'd have the best environmental record (being 100% recyclable). Let's make this happen.


.

3 comments:

DADvocate said...

I'd love the most is for all the Beer Drinking American to just get together and apply for non-geographical statehood

As you said, the ads would be great. A candidate would be driving a beer wagon pulled by a team of Clydesdales. It'd be beautiful.

liberalandproud said...

I noticed quite a few folks drinking Red Stripe at Green Drinks last night, and I'd wager many of them are Democrats.

sophmom said...

Bud Light & I will vote for the candidate that runs against McCain.

How the hell are you? Just about made it through the school year, have you? My darlin' (your neighbor) is going to graduate in May. :(

I just saw a great segment on CBS Sunday Morning on R.E.M.'s new album. Great (long) interview with MS, including much strolling around Athens. I bet you can see it online somewhere.

Take care, darlin'. Hope to see you soon.

Dotcalm