Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hooray for gas prices!

You've probably noticed that gas prices have gone up a bit lately. If not, you obviously not only don't drive anywhere but you also have missed the myriad of absurd stories on the news about people being "forced" to do odd things so they can still afford gasoline. There's a lot of finger-pointing and there's a lot of blame being thrown around.

Personally, I like the high gas prices. No, I'm not some tree-hugging liberal hippie who want to see the destruction of motorized transportation. The way I see it, I'm paying about $100 per month more for gas than I used to a year ago. Even if gas prices double, that only puts me at about $300 more than I paid then. What do I get for that $100-$300 premium? An empty lake. It's a deal. For some reason $1 per gallon is keeping people from taking their $50K boat out on the water. I don't understand that but I'll take it. If you've ever been interested in boating, now is the time to look into it. You can get a boat dirt cheap and that price is only going down. Sure gas costs a lot but it's so worth it for calm afternoon waters. I'm even considering lifting my longstanding ban on going out on the lake on the big 3 weekends this year (Memorial, 4th, and Labor).

It's a shame that the Chinese Olympics will be over soon and the economic bust that follows any Olympics held in a city in no shape to host such a thing will decrease their demand for oil. The value of the dollar is also going to stop dropping when our economy picks back up. That's going to drop some oil prices. And all those investors throwing money into oil futures because it's the only thing offering a decent return these days are going to find better and safer investments. Crap. I guess I better enjoy the empty lake while I can. Maybe this peak oil thing will pan out finally. They've been telling us it's going to happen for at least 30 years now.

No comments: