Friday, August 01, 2008

One Love

So, the USA Today/Coaches Poll just ranked the Georgia Bulldawgs the #1 team in the land. At Yo' Mama's in the French Quarter this last weekend, I was talking about this moment with a Clemson fan (engaged to a Georgia fan). Hell, I've already had two people call me today to talk about it, and I've been stopped inside and outside an Esplanade Avenue coffee shop to talk about football because I was wearing a red Georgia hat.

That's Esplanade Avenue in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Tigerland.

Behind enemy lines.

And not in a behind-enemy-lines like normal. Not like the jovial crap-and-banter I get when Atlanta or Jacksonville play the Saints normal. And not the SEC fans at the bar, wouldn't-it-be-cool-if-both-teams-made-the-championship-game normal. After all, LSU and Georgia aren't the biggest of rivalries in the SEC. Matter of fact, I've seen crouching Tiger fans cheer the Dawgs, and frothing-at-the-mouth Dawgs cheer the Tigers. That's what happens when teams don't play each other every year, and share blood-enemies in Auburn and Florida.

But this year, for both LSU and Georgia, the road runs through Baton Rouge in October. Georgia will be kicking off the most brutal four weeks of the most brutal football schedule of the post-WWII era with a trip to Death Valley. LSU takes the mantra "we must protect this house" with earth-shaking seriousness.

And they love pulling off upsets at home.

But I'm going to wear the mantle of fandom with pride and keep raisin' hell at Carrollton Station. All season long, baby. Here. We. Go.

.

1 comment:

Leigh C. said...

Mazel tov!

Here's to them girls in Athens who dance on the bars at closing time, I guess. You gonna try to start THAT at Carrollton Station?