Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ORT

An Athens Icon.

I was just speaking to SAWB last night about how bad the UGA student newspaper The Red and Black has become in recent years, while the alt-weekly Flagpole has remained pretty good even while evolving.

This article on ORT certainly helps my case. Ort is one of those local figures that give Athens such charm. I can't count the number of beers I had at Burntstone/Copper Creek while listening to Ort tell stories. And you could always count on him for excellent suggestions during the Classic City Brewfest.

But what I like bringing attention to is that the Flagpole ran this article, not as a send up after a local legend has passed away, but as an actual interview as the local legend lives. The story is well written, but not yet over. I sure would like to see more reporting like this.


For example...

.

3 comments:

alli said...

"They can think I’m an aborigine. I am. I’m charting my own planet somewhere else."

I hope to one day master obscure statistical information as well as this guy has. He sounds awesome.

Leigh C. said...

Hee! I thought, for a moment, you were talking about this ORT:

http://www.ortamerica.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index

Leigh C. said...

Oh, and TAG!

http://liprapslament-theline.blogspot.com/2008/11/1.html

You're "it"!