Friday, December 19, 2008

Catch Your Breath

A lengthy report came out in the Nation this week about events that happened in New Orleans immediately following August 29th, 2005. I wonder if this kind of story will gain any traction, locally or nationally, and what terrible results will come from such terrible events. Will such ugliness be addressed or will we turn away? What kind of circus will this become for ideolouges?

I'm not shocked by what I've read, but I am saddened that we as a nation still go through things like this. I fear the coming accusations and recriminations on all sides, and I fear also what we will reap from sowing seeds of justice unresolved.

This isn't going to be easy history to write, whatever happens.


Update: 12/21/08:American Zombie puts the Nation article in the perspective of the disaster writ large. Also, Liprap's blogging about it as well.
.

2 comments:

mominem said...

Why do you assume any of it is true?

For every credible report of stuff that happened during that time 90% was wrong. I stopped counting the "personal" stories people told me that simply couldn't be true.

Not to mention the unbelievable bias and loaded use of language in th epiece.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

I don't have to assume any of this is true to believe that this is ugly, and could have terrible repercussions. Despite the language and the bias, it is now entered into the public record. What will the response be? How will what is written here shape the continuing public dialouge about New Orleans?

I don't have to agree or disagree with this reporting on any level to bring attention to its existence and wonder what impact it will have.