Thursday, April 23, 2009

Federalism Ammendment?

I wouldn't attribute anything in this article to the tea parties (as the author does) but it's sure an interesting scenario. If the states really did get fed up with their treatment by the federal government, they could call a constitutional convention and introduce their own amendment(s) to the Constitution. It would take 2/3 of the states to petition for a convention and 3/4 to ratify any amendment coming from the convention.

I doubt it'll happen. It would take 34 states just to get this going and 38 to make it a reality. If it were close and Texas wanted to jump on the grenade, they could use their long-held option to split into 4 states but that would only buy them 1 state and would assume that all 4 newly created states would support such a resolution (and I doubt the coastal area would). I'm also not sure if any other states would have similar options or if such states would consider splitting worth the amendment.

But it's a fun scenario to think about, and it would get me supporting the Fair Tax as my primary opposition to the Fair Tax* would be removed.

* I'll never support a Fair Tax myself as long as there is still an amendment on the books allowing for income tax to return. Sure the Fair Tax would get rid of the IRS... for now. By the time my kids are grown up, they'd be paying both income and national sales taxes. Repeal the 16th Amendment and I'll support Fair Tax but not until then.

1 comment:

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

Hell, I'd love to see the states call a Constitutional Convention just to see if it could be done. Not that I think much would be accomplished (state legislatures being what they are), but it would be a healthy debate.

It is probably something we should have spoken about 7 and a half years ago, I might add.