Monday, August 10, 2009

Ha-Ha Monday

This is a sort of blah post in USA Today written by Pelosi and Hoyer. I didn't like the Un-American angle when Republicans were throwing it out and I don't particularly care for it now. But there's a funny joke if you read the comments and it deserves praise. To sum up the article, Pelosi and Hoyer consider the protests that are getting in the way of them promoting their health care plan is Un-American. Specifically: "Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American. Drowning out the facts is how we failed at this task for decades."

I guess. I keep remembering the saying, "You have the right to speak, but you don't have the right to be heard," but I don't really know where that came from and quite frankly I don't really care. Either way, the sentiment is not as amusing as the reply from Lucius Verginius: "The obvious thing for Pelosi to do is to create a committee to investigate the protestors—call it the House Committee on Un-American Activities."

Overt McCarthy humor is a bit stale these days but a nice subtle joke is still appreciated in my book. Good game, sir.

4 comments:

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

It only feeds the ridiculous narrative of the right when Pelosi uses the "Un-American" phrase, so this is unfortunate. We cannot have any dialouge in this country if the people who disagree with us are tyrants and anti-American and racist all the time. I'd hoped we'd learned at least a little from the past 8 years. But I've also said for years that Pelosi is part of the problem.

However, this does not excuse the lunacy of behaviors of these screaming people to disrupt public discourse. Pelosi and Hoyer would have done better to focus on these behaviors rather than drop the "Un-American" term.

I reckon I could organize a group to swarm local GOP meetings and just lay on our car horns in the parking lots, or bring cowbells and ring them loudly at opposition meetings, or just show up and pretend like its third down at a football game and holler the whole time, or bring every musician I know and set up to play music with the volume cranked up to 11....

But if I did any of those things I would get arrested for disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, incitement, and the folks I was disrupting would no dobut call me Un-American.

RRR said...

These lefty fascists like Pelosi would be really quite comical…if WE weren’t the ones they were planning to control-

Now the DNC is deploying union palookas while at the same time hypocritically dismissing Obamacare opponents as paid shills -even running TV ads to slander them- and delirious SanFranNan is seeing imaginary Swastikas.
This should make clear to anyone just what these power-drunk elitists think of your opinion.

Note that whenever Obama, Emanuel, or Gibbs are asked about why polls show SO many people oppose their misguided Cap-n-Trade and Obamacare proposals, they ALWAYS segue-right-into “we need to educate the public…”.

LOL- save your breath… Constitutionally-aware American patriots don’t take lectures from Marxists.

http://reaganiterepublicanresistance.blogspot.com

patsbrother said...

Honestly, if I didn't know you, I wouldn't be here. How is it that other people are trolling the blogs, looking for somewhere to post?

Anyway, one tiny clarification. Senator McCarthy did not have much to do with the House Un-American Activities Committee thing, there being a bicameral congress and him belonging to the body not named House and all. FYI.

DADvocate said...

Pelosi saved my butt on this one. another blogger was claiming "un-American" was a conservative code word for "disagree with me." Then Pelosi!!