Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ants In Pants Glances

we're sick of being jerked around, wear that on your sleeve - R.E.M.

This has been the longest I've dwelt on a UGA loss in years. I literally cannot stop reading posts in the Georgia-based blogosphere (and neither can the rest of college football, taking note of this fanbase's tears of unfathomable sadness).

But the most excrutiating meme this season is the words coming from the previously elite college football program I root for. If you haven't been following it already, we don't have time to catch you up all the way. But this is just a little bit of an example. In addition to the "well, we've won games in the past" line of thinking, we've heard a steady stream of excuses that just don't seem to make sense (like the wind, the kicker and the youth of our players adversely affecting the special teams during the LSU game).

Luckily, this is sports, where the journalists and fans won't let silly excuses stand for very long. Luckily, we've already started to hear some more frank assessments of the situation. We will know in the next few weeks, and definitely by the end of the year, just how rough of a situation we are dealing with, and what will be done about it.

I was thinking about that today in a cultural sense, and then I saw something that brought it all together.

Contrast results-demanding sports journalists and fans, if you will, to the journalists and "fans/activists" of our nation's politics, who will let politicians and pundits say anything they want for years on end, without challenge. Observe the obfuscation of consensus fact and shared history that keeps "fans/activists" in the dark about real effects and costs of policies.

Tonight, John Stewart took CNN to task about this very type of behavior. Tore. Them. Apart. is more like it. If you thought what he did to CNBC's Cramer was bad, you're going to love this. Watching the first segment is sufficient.

To bring the segue full circle, Stewart also interviewed Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security. It was a painful interview, and she engaged in enough "coach speak" style dialouge to give no useful, interesting or funny information. She just laughed at Stewart the whole time.

And, yes, she has a code name. How uncomfortable.

.

10 comments:

Leigh C. said...

Damn, man. Just....damn.

Other thing to remember about sports is there is always another day and another season. The cliches about hope springing eternal are quite true - even if it takes loads of seasons for it to fully bloom.

Hang in there.

And please, Lord, I don't want any us to have to swim home again, ever. Glad you made it back okay and your vehicle wasn't floating away from you.

DADvocate said...

Stewart is FUNNY!! My God! If he keeps this up, he will become the most respected news commentator in the business. He's already close. I love the line by the other guy that if the facts of the story were inside the sexual organs of a goat, CNN would be interested in checking them.

Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills...
(Whistling the tune as he slowly walks away.)

Leigh C. said...

Even though I have two generations of UT alums in my fam, my mom is still not a huge fan of the song Rocky Top. My granddaddy makes up for it, though, by continuing to go to all the UT home games at Neyland and all the Lady Vols basketball games.

And I keep mishearing the head of DHS' name and thinking the lead singer of Concrete Blonde is in charge of our security...

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

I'll be good. As I've said on many occasions, I was trained for this type of situation during the Donnan years. We had dozens of future NFL players, including a Super Bowl MVP, on the squad between 1996 and 2000 - where we only beat Tennessee one time (and that was the only game that was close).

Speaking of swimming, the high water mark on Jeff Davis is still there this morning. I didn't notice it in yesterdays's fog. I'm glad I chose to drive down Broad.

I knew Stewart was something special when I saw how he PLAYED Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala on Crossfire, lo those many years ago. I hope he makes the CNN bashing a theme, because they have gotten terrible of late.

Y'all sing Rocky Top all ya want, just remember it was written by someone From Georgia. Heh.

Leigh C. said...

Oh, good, then I can chalk up my mom's abhorrence of "Rocky Top" to simple rebellion and a turning from her ancestral maternal roots in darkest Valdosta.

DADvocate said...

I didn't realize they were from Georgia. But, then, they ended up in the right state. Rocky Top will drive you crazy after a while. I'm glad I didn't watch the UT/UGA game.

I thought Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in the country until they started losing this season. Now, I'm wondering.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

Rocky Top as a fight song is fantastic. Yes, it gets repetitive, but that's because they play it 8,000 times a game.

I noticed that several years ago, the band started playing the "Immigrant Song" riff from Led Zepplin, usually on defensive downs. That had to be welcome change and I don't think the defensive stoutness at Tennessee has suffered since.

Following that meme, Georgia also has their defensive riff from a classic rock band: "Paint it Black" by Rolling Stones. This has worked out less well, just about as well as the ... black jerseys. < / rolling eyes >

Dante said...

At least those songs make sense for football games. Auburn often cranks up Gonna Fly Now from Rocky. Yes, Auburn plays the theme song from the movie where a tough scrappy boxer gets a shot at the champ... and loses. What a great message to send your team.

Leigh C. said...

Hey, it could be like Wisconsin, where they get everybody pogoing in the stands to "Jump Around"...

Leigh C. said...

And DAD, my granddaddy is from Knoxville - it's my grandmother who's from Georgia. A mixed marriage, I know. ;-)