Thursday, October 08, 2009

Hate Week By Any Other Name

College football fans want to win regular season games as a means of satisfying ancient and perpetual blood feuds. They want to win bowl games in order to demonstrate that the vendettas they've endured that season made them tougher and meaner than whatever their extra-regional bowl opponent thinks they've been through that compares. - Jeffery

I've got nothing on college football this week other than to tell you I'll be at Carrollton Station in New Orleans before lunch comes to the Central Time Zone. I'll also be hoping they don't switch coverage of the game in the last minutes (I'm thinking of the UGA vs. Kentucky game last year). Yes, this is UGA at Tennessee week, and that usually means a drinking-fueled primetime television spot that eliminates my entire Saturday for anything productive. Because of each program's woes this season, the game kicks off at 11:21am in my neck of the woods.

The kind folks at Carrollton Station are opening the bar early just for us. I will be having coffee with my whiskey.

More entertainig than that mental image = Some of the best UGA vs. Tennessee smack talk on the web (because I know you've been waiting to hear some) can be found at Hey, Jenny Slater! and Snarkastic. Click over and read both. If you're goofing off this afternoon, read a little bit of the backstory and understand why this is even funnier.

.

3 comments:

DADvocate said...

I'd love to give you some smack talk, dawg. But, smacking is what the dawgs will be doing to the Vols this year, unless something goes terribly wrong. Tennessee does have a good defense but they'll be worn out by the 4th quarter.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

This is Georgia 2009 we're talking about. Plenty of things could go terribly wrong (please see also: Georgia Special Teams).

After last week, I know what it feels like to have a hobnailed boot break my nose.

S.A.W.B. said...

Welcome to Terribly Wrong, population, us assholes in red and black...