Thursday, January 28, 2010

Torture is What Our Enemies Do (Part 2)

To follow up a post I wrote earlier in the month, two addtional articles are available today.

First, Foreign Policy writes that one of the anchors for the "torture works" part of the right-wing narrative has this to say in his memoir:

"What I told Brian Ross in late 2007 was wrong on a couple counts," he writes. "I suggested that Abu Zubaydah had lasted only thirty or thirty-five seconds during his waterboarding before he begged his interrogators to stop; after that, I said he opened up and gave the agency actionable intelligence."

But never mind, he says now.

"I wasn't there when the interrogation took place; instead, I relied on what I'd heard and read inside the agency at the time."


Admittedly, I am getting this information second hand, from a report in a magazine, but I'm admitting that openly, and my words are not being used to justify torture.

The second (also from FP) gets the opinions of a veteran intelligence officer. He has some rather strong opinions on the matter, as you might imagine:

One of the most striking aspects of his talk is the cold professional contempt he has for Cheney, Rumsfeld and others who not only encouraged a brutal approach, but were amateurish in doing so.


(HT: Andrew Sullivan.



.

No comments: