Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whiplash Politics

Compare this Athens political dustup to this potential New Orleans coverup.

During my years in Athens, St. Simons and New Orleans, I've tried to keep up with local politics. Most of the time, there are enough similarities that I can keep up.

The first thing that comes to mind is how similar so many of the issues are. Housing, employment, crime, schools, economic choices. These are all at the top of people's personal lists of concerns.

The second thing that I think about is how much more effective civic engagement is when practiced at the local level. Our culture focuses so much on Washington, D.C., that the local and state arena we have the most effect on personally can be ignored.

But then, some weeks, the differences are so pronounced my brain hurts.




.

No comments: