Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Never Settle

I might get in a wee bit of trouble for posting this, but I'm glad Jessica Grose at Double X deconstructs Lori Gottlieb's "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough."

This kind of thinking is defeatist. We don't need any extra pressure on American culture to give up where we want to be and start settling only for where we are. That wasn't the kind of thinking that made America great, it isn't the kind of thinking that will give you a great marriage.

And if you think that only women are subjected to pressures to settle down, get married and start havin' babies, you ain't met my family, Jack. Hell, my pops recently backed off his demands for the first two, and just wants me to knock some lady up.

Something tells me that wouldn't be a situation that ends well.

.

2 comments:

Leigh C. said...

"Hell, my pops recently backed off his demands for the first two, and just wants me to knock some lady up."

Oh. My. God. And I thought Jewish families went crazy over that sort of thing.

And dude, any lady who goes with you wouldn't be settling. I mean, damn.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

It depends on the lady, but thanks for the compliment. This isn't about me as much as it is an attitude.

Books like this equate to our society being told to just shut up and deal with a less-than-optimal situation. Expect less. Accept less. That's life in the "real world."

Bullshit. That's why we have amazing, dancing Mardi Gras parades on pothole destroyed streets. The attitude affects the culture, and culture matters.