Monday, February 01, 2010

You can get a good look at a school district by sticking your head up a hurricane's... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.

I try to stay out of post-Katrina rebuilding posts. That's Pat's department. But I picked up this little gem from the Washington Post that was too good to pass up:

Education Secretary Arne Duncan called Hurricane Katrina "the best thing that happened to the education system in New Orleans" because it forced the community to take steps to improve low-performing public schools, according to excerpts from a television interview made public Friday.


Look, I get the point Arne Duncan is trying to make. But wow that was a bad way to put it. And given some of the problems the RSD is having, I'm not so sure it's even an accurate statement if delivered in a sane manner.

4 comments:

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

Thank you for this link. I'm sure there will be plenty of NOLA circulation directly.

I'll hold my tongue on my opinions of Duncan and the Chicago school of education "reform" that also gave us Vallas.

These clowns and their "ideas" remain my biggest problem with the Obama administration.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

And today, we get word of the inevitable backpedal, "I-worded-things-poorly apology.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

G-Bitch tells you what she really thinks of Arne Duncan.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

Leigh explores cultural ramifications of education, among other things.