Thursday, March 04, 2010

Waiting

MSNBC notes the growing incidence of men filing sexual harassment complaints. I am not at all surprised that many of the cited incidents occured in restaurants. Anyone who's spent any time in the service industry knows how bad things can get on any given pirate ship.

Now, I've seen some crazy stuff in the "back of the house," where I've worked off and on since I was in high school, but I've been lucky. The crews I've worked have generally been stocked with good people who kept on the right side of that line. I'm not saying there weren't any shenanigans in my experience, but nothing like what that article describes.

I do know for a damn fact that crap like that does happen in some restaurants. They are usually the ones without strong professional management, are lax on who they hire, and generally aren't places you'd like to eat, anyway.

Again, I've been lucky never to work at such a place.

.

No comments: