Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blame

Ta-Nehisi Coates talks about blame and reparations. The article has a long (and important) wind-up, but he hits this homerun out of the park:

From my perspective, the most interesting and provocative modern questions around America's racial dilemma, like any societal dilemma, do not necessitate blame. To put it differently, I am not concerned about gender equality because I think I'm to blame thousands of years of sexism, I'm concerned about gender equality because it matches my moral center. Blame is irrelevant. In the context of race, the question isn't "Who is to blame for the Middle Passage, slavery, and Jim Crow?" it's "What, tangibly, can we do to counter its generational effects?"
...
One of the few things I know is this--Blame is useless to me. Blame is for the dead.


.

No comments: