Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Conservative Manifesto

Showing up on the heels of the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, I was surprised to see just how much work they did on their platform for the coming 2010 elections. One was led to believe from the media coverage that this thing was all about Sarah Palin's cliche generator, Herman Cain's cancer treatment, and booing Ron Paul.

Also, it was in New Orleans during the French Quarter Festival. We all know why stuffy types from the hinterlands visit New Orleans, especially stuffy types with a penchant for voyeurism in the local specialty clubs.

Consider me shocked that any work got done.

Even more surprising, I read the report and found myself in agreement with Conservatives on more than a few issues. Not only that, but I was stunned to see them take positions to my left. WTF?

I was especially happy to see them reverse their position on high-speed rail, at least.

This is incredibly different from the Fire-Eating, highly polarizing and divisive politics they seem to portray on television. If they would only reign in their mouthpieces and really sell the policy issues of their "manifesto," they may even start to pick off Southern liberals like me. Why is there such a big difference from what they say and what they do?

Sometimes I just think all the real conservatives are living in a different world, somewhere nearby but far, far away at the same time.

Weird.



Heh, heh, heh.

4 comments:

DADvocate said...

You told me once you hadn't heard of some incidents of left wing violence I cited. Did you hear about the GOP official attending this conference (a young woman) and her boyfriend beaten because of wearing Palin pins?

Her leg was broken. Her boyfriend suffered a broken jaw, broken nose and a concussion. I sure am glad the left wingers are so non-violent. No telling what would happen if they weren't.

Dante said...

So I saw the mentions of Labour and the figures in pounds and now I'm confused. You know this Conservative Manifesto is from the Brits, right? They'll never pick up Southern liberals like you because we decided to go ahead with the whole Revolution thing when finally offered the right to be represented in Parliament since we kind of had it in the bag by that point. And if you think our conservatives are fire-breathing, polarizing and divisive, you have no idea. Try watching CSPAN coverage of British Parliament some time. We have nothing on them.

Cousin Pat from Georgia said...

@ DADV. No I hadn't heard about that at all. Though I hadn't heard of any "anarchists" in the protest, either. Luckily, I know a few folks in the area.

@ Dante: you do see the "heh, heh, heh" and "Shenanigans" tag to the post, right?

Dante said...

I have to admit that this is the first time I've noticed we even have tags.