Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Ground Zero Gingrich (continued)

No, I won't be done talking about this for a long, long time. The fact that we are even having this discussion reminds me how overpoliticized things have become in this country. On most issues, I can be objective and rational. This one gets me so spitting mad, it takes twice as long to write about it from all the typos and curse words I want to inject.

A zoning issue in New York City should not be a flash point for us to throw our own American foundations under the bus.

But now with Gingrich, Palin and Giuliani fanning the flames of sectarian religious bigotry in America, as a de facto platform of one of our major political parties, I am not sure how long I can maintain a rational perspective.

That there is not widespread repudiation for their words and deeds is mounting evidence that this nation has adopted progress-resistant attributes from which we may never recover. The silence is deafening. That these disgusting public figures are engaged in this inflammatory behavior in the interest of only money, attention and political gain - and that they are able to do so successfully - calls into question all of the benefits of the doubt I have extended to my own American culture and civilization.

Let me repeat something for those of you who may have forgotten a few things along the way:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


That text can be found in a rather important document that provides the basis for the civil liberties we enjoy in this nation.

.

No comments: